Wednesday 28 October 2020

WWC295 - Karen's Challenge: All About Occasions

Only a few days remaining before Hallowe'en!  It's the time of year when I go scrounging around in my retired products to see what might make a suitably spooky card.  Surprisingly I found my inspiration in some Designer Paper that is probably the farthest one could think of from Hallowe'en.  Can you believe that the awesome background paper is actually from the Stampin' Up! Come Sail Away Designer Series paper?  It certainly doesn't look marine-oriented to me!

I don't use a black base frequently but Hallowe'en is a perfect time for an exception.  Not only does it compliment the patterned paper perfectly, but it also suits the occasion.  Rummaging further in my stash of retired papers, I found one with a whole page of haunted houses.  How perfect!  Of course I used that, cutting out one single panel and then using a matte of Smoky Slate.  I decided to sponge the perimeter of both with black ink and love the effect, don't you?

Time to haul out one of my retired stamp sets.  The Stampin' Up! set, Spooky Fun, was the perfect size for this card and I knew immediately that I wanted to use the moon and the witch.  And possibly the gravestones.  After stamping the moon and colouring it with a mix of orange and golden yellow, I sponged it lightly around the perimeter and also over the top with the Smoky Slate, just to dull it a little bit.  Then I stamped my witch and cut her out with the matching die.  I also sponged just a bit of Mint Macaron around the haunted house and then stamped, die-cut and coloured the gravestones.   They just asked to be at the bottom left, beside the sentiment (also from the same stamp set).  

This card is larger than normal, winding up a full 5"x6".  In order to use all the images I wanted and still have an adequate amount of that patterned paper showing, I had not choice but to make it that large.  The scene makes me think of that classic Hallowe'en movie, Hocus Pocus. I love the way it turned out, don't you?


Have fun checking out our Watercooler Wednesday Challenge and I hope you'll link your creation before the deadline on Monday, November 2nd.

I've also entered my card in the following challenges:

Simon Says Stamp, Monday Challenge:  Movie Inspired

Always Fun Challenges #186 - Hallowe'en Fun

Lemon Shortbread Challenge #131 - Anything Goes

6 comments:

  1. Spooky card Heidi, love that witch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect for our Challenge!
    So glad that you have shared your great artwork with us here at Always Fun Challenges.
    Stay safe and well.
    Good luck hun and do come back again!
    Jackie DT @AFC

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your Halloween card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great background, Heidi! Works so well with your fun little Halloween scene! Take care! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous Halloween card, Heidi - so fun with your layered scene!! Especially love the witch on the pop of yellow moon!!

    ReplyDelete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.