Wednesday 25 August 2021

WWC323 - Cathy's Challenge: All Things Feminine

 I'm really excited about this card!  It "grew like Topsy".  I had a plan which, bit by bit, I discarded as the card evolved and became what it had decided to be.  Does that ever happen to you?


My mail arrived with a new stamp by Ellen Jareckie.  You know how much I absolutely love her House-Mouse images.  Well, this one was just released this year and spoke to the plant-lover in me.  I immediately stamped the image twice, once on Coloured Pencil paper and once on Mixed Media paper.  I wasn't entirely certain which way I would go.  You see, I have a new set of General's Pastel Chalk Pencils and was anxious to try that media for a change.  My "insurance", in case I absolutely hated the look, was the image on the Mixed Media paper, for which I would use my watercolours.

Well, the pastel chalk pencils worked out beautifully and I was all set to use the image for the front of my card.  Somehow, despite my plans, I prepared my Base of Heavy Whisper White for a gatefold.  Fine, I hadn't made a gatefold in a while and so was willing to see where this would lead.  It led to my using several dies which I hadn't yet used as well as some silver foil paper which I hadn't thought to use for quite a long time.  I also found and used some retired designer paper and used that.


When the gate opens, the grid and leaves come up and reveal the little mouse, happily napping in its scented "bed".  


Opening the other side of the gate reveals the full scene.  Doesn't the colour of the chalk pastel pencils simply "pop"?  I love it and will likely use this medium quite often.


The close up of the inside shows the subtle blending possible with the pencils.  It's a completely different look from the watercolours.  This "something new" is definitely a happy surprise.


Have fun checking out our Watercooler Wednesday Challenge and I hope you'll link your creation before the deadline on Monday, September 6th, 2021.

I've also entered my card at the following challenges:

House Mouse & Friends Challenge #347 - Anything Goes or option Water Play

Lemon Shortbread Challenge #153 - Anything Goes

Unicorn Challenge #68 - Anything Goes

10 comments:

  1. I love the card fold. Pretty wreath and great coloring of the image. Thanks for sharing at HMFMC. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I was so busy looking at the greenery and wondering what else Ellen creates that I didn't even see the mouse through the gate. I loved the little surprise. This is super cute. Thanks for joining us at House Mouse and Friends Monday Challenge. [Bunny]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi,another stunner of a card. I love the way it opens up and reveals just a little bit more each time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely surprise when it opens to the sweet mousie. Great colouring and an inspired idea. And yes, I have cards that decide where they're going all by themselves. So glad you shared with us at House Mouse & Friends, CarolG

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful shape card beautiful coloring too. Thank you for playing along at The Unicorn Challenge. Good luck with your entry.

    Greetings Marga dt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heidi, this is so awesome! The gate fold is a fabulous way to reveal your stunning image. Thanks for joining us at the House Mouse & Friends Monday Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super adorable mousey image, stunning colouring, great design. Thanks for sharing with us at HMFMC

    Mousey hugs Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cute card Heidi :-) I love this mousie image and the gate is awesome!! Love the whole design of this!!! What a stunner!!

    Thanks for joining us on the House Mouse and Friends Monday Challenge
    Luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!! I just love this card with it's surprise flap with the gorgeous coloured image inside. I can see why you fell in love with this sweet HM image. I must look out for it!! Soooo cute! Stay safe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully coloured image Heidi and so adorable! Love the clever fold too, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.