Wednesday 21 April 2021

WWC314 - Dawn's Challenge: All About Occasions

 My cat made me do it!  Seriously, I was trying to decide for which occasion I would create a card for our challenge and spied a piece of paper on the floor.  It looked  remarkably like something I had cut out and had put aside to use for a card "someday".  We all do that, don't we?  Well, putting it aside is one thing.  Finding it on the floor is a totally unacceptable thing.  I knew immediately who the culprit was, of course. My sweet, butter wouldn't melt in her mouth Khali had made another trip across my crafting table and, being the clumsiest (and cutest) feline I've ever met, had inadvertently pushed the cut-out onto the floor.    

And that led to the creation of this Birthday card.


I love the "Happy Birthday" die but absolutely hate putting glue onto the die-cut.  By the time you finish going from one end to the other, across all the lines and intricate details, the portion where you began has dried.  But a few months ago I happened to have purchased a roll of Diecut and Bond.   This is thin paper, double sided with adhesive.  You put it onto a piece of cardstock, use your die to cut whatever design you happen to want for a card, and voila.  The backing peels off and it sticks by itself.  While I'm sure this doesn't come as a surprise to a lot of you, it was like magic for me and I will be using my more intricate dies a whole lot more from now on.        

Oh, and that heat embossing on the red?  It just looked so plain when I laid all the pieces out so I grabbed a relatively neutral background stamp (Crackle Paint) and heat embossed the pattern onto the red using my clear embossing powder.   It gives  it just enough interest without taking any real attention away from the sentiment and cute little squirrel, doesn't it? 


You can see the  heat embossing better from this angle.  And, of course, the  squirrel is clearly raised up from the stitched heart with Dimensionals.  I love the way the card turned out, don't you?

Have fun checking out our Watercooler Wednesday Challenge and I hope you'll link your creation before the deadline on Monday, May 3rd, 2021.

I'm also entering my card in the following challenges: 

Lemon Shortbread Challenge #144 - Anything Goes

Crafty Sentiments Designs: Anything Goes

Simon Says Monday Challenge:  Bright, Cheerful colours

Dragonfly Dreams April Challenge:  Feature a Creature

6 comments:

  1. Great pick by Khali for this fun bday card, Heidi!! My cats loved to simply lie all over the papers on the craft table and then chew on any loose ribbon!! Really, you have a well behaved girl there!! Just love the cute squirrel & the crackle texture too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable squirrel! Love the embossed background! Thank you for playing at Dragonfly Dreams Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Khali did you a favour, Heidi! I love this cute little guy! Such a fun card with that beautiful die cut!! I'm still gluing my die cuts, but thinking about using some double sided adhesive paper!! Stay safe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super ute card Heidi - love your little squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The stamped texture looks fantastic Helen and TFS the tip about the adhesive paper, I use a fine tip glue bottle and have to reglue bits that have dried because I was being too slow and careful lol! Fun card, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Khali was obviously just giving you a nudge about getting on with some birthday cards Heidi! I love the crackle texture you gave the red card stock and the squirrel is adorable (had to type that word reeeeeally quietly because my golden retriever is sat next to me!) I actually have some double sided adhesive sheets somewhere and you've made me make a note to hunt for it! Vicky x

    ReplyDelete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.