Friday 8 May 2015

FM208 -- Happy Mother's Day!

One of the great things about the Friday Mashup is that it's never just one challenge.  This one, for example, calls for a Mother's Day card.  You can stop there and simply make a Mother's Day card and enter it into the challenge.  But then there's the "mashup".  They offer a little extra challenge that you can add into your card and "mash" it up.  I always like to mash it up!

To mash it up, use a recyled/upcycled item

I had a few things in mind for my recycled/upcycled item.  One was a toilet paper roll.  I went so far as to die cut it and stitch around it with thick Baker's twine before I realized that it simply wasn't what I wanted.  By that time my fingers were sore, but I persevered.  Then I thought I would use some butterflies die-cut from dryer sheets but I didn't really like them on the card that I had, by this time, created.  Finally I thought of pop cans.  A friend had told me a while back that she frequently used her Bigz dies to cut flattened aluminium pop cans.  This seemed like a good time to try it out for myself.

Following her suggestions, I cut a pop can apart and then put a piece through my Big Shot in an old embossing folder.  I wan't ready to sacrifice a current folder in case the metal somehow ruined its ability to emboss in the future.  It worked, by the way, and the folder appears to be capable of  continued embossing.  Good to know!  Then I took the retired Beautiful Butterflies Bigz die and cut a small butterfly from the embossed metal.  That worked, too.  And it looked just perfect for the card.  Believe me, I was grinning from ear to ear by this time.

My card base is Naturals White onto which I layered a piece of Rose Red after first using the Spring Flowers embossing folder on it.  Then I used my oval framelits to first cut a piece of Blackberry Bliss and then a piece of the Painted Blooms Designer Series Paper.   My sentiment is from the retired Wonderful Mother stamp set, cut out using the Word Bubbles framelits.  I glued a Pacific Point backing onto it and cut a border closely around the word bubble.  For my aluminium butterfly I hand cut a Basic Black body complete with skinny antennae.  Glue dots attached it perfectly to the lower portion of my oval.


For more cards in this challenge, check out the Friday Mashup Challenge.  You'll be glad you did.

I've also entered this card in the Addictred to Stamps and More challenge.

10 comments:

  1. I love the metal butterfly. Great idea and awesome team challenge card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Cynthia. I'm glad I finally decided to use the pop can---the butterfly works.

      Delete
  2. I didn't even realize your butterfly comes from an aluminum can. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Heidi. I was so afraid I'd cut myself but it was easier to use the aluminium can than I thought.

      Delete
  3. Great recycling of a soft drink can! How cool! Love the main panel - so pretty! Thanks so much for playing along at ATSM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kylie. Yes, the Designer Paper in the oval panel is gorgeous, isn't it? I'll miss it when the Occasions Catalogue is done.

      Delete
  4. This is such a cool idea, would never have thought to die-cut a drink can. The effect is amazing and great to see something different. Your embossing and patterned paper in the oval go so perfectly together too. So glad you joined us at ATSM this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shona. I was a bit worried at first but the hardest part, really, was using the metal shears to cut the can. I wore heavy gloves for that part. The Bigz die actually sort of "rolled" the edge where it cut so after the butterfly was cut out, it was safe enough to handle.

      Delete
  5. Very clever recycling, Heidi! Beautiful Mother's Day card, too...I love the flowers! Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at ATSM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Barb. I love that Designer Paper.

      Delete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.