Thursday 18 October 2012

The first step--admitting you need help.

Yes, it's true.  I've fallen off the wagon again.  Right now I'm in the middle of putting together another set of SWAPS.  *sigh*  I wonder if I should take up meditation to clear my mind and rid myself of the need I seem to have developed for Swapping.

Of course the first thing I'm going to say is what all addicts say:  "but this one is different".  But it's true!  Really--I'm not kidding myself about this just to excuse my addiction.  This SWAP really is different.  Before you judge me, just read on and you'll see what I mean.

This SWAP is all about technique.   Technique is so important in our creative lives, isn't it?  Well, what I will get out of this SWAP is over 40 different techniques, each one shown on a sample card and described in detail on a separate sheet.  Didn't I say it was different?  When you're relatively new at card-making, learning new techniques is one great way to keep your cards different and interesting.  Lots of times, however, even when you find a sample of the technique online, it's hard to figure out the logistics of beginning, middle and end in order to achieve the final product you're just itching to create.  This technique SWAP should really help.

The other great thing about this SWAP is that I get to submit my own technique examples.  Some I'm very familiar with and have used on my own cards already, but a couple are techniques that I've heard about, found on the Internet, and never tried.  Last night I sat myself down and tried one of those.

It's called the Retiform Technique.  That's a fancy way of saying it's a card made in a grid pattern.  I had a lot of fun with it and, happiness of happinesses, I managed to make a really nice one with my first try.  I love the colours and the stamp sets that I used.  For the stamp sets, I have to admit that this is their first meeting with stamping ink.  (It's so easy to buy stamp sets and then forget to actually use them, isn't it?)


For this card I used Early Espresso as my base cardstock and then did the Retiform technique on a 3 3/4" x 5" piece of Very Vanilla.  I cut varying widths of typing paper to mask the areas which weren't being sponged.  The sponging was done with three colours of ink:  Pool Party, Crumbcake, and Early Espresso.  The two stamp sets that I decided to use because the components compliment each other are:  Clockworks and Established Elegance.

This is a fun technique and can work with any variety of stamp sets.  You can bet I'll try this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.