Wednesday 7 September 2016

WWC84 - Have a Fabulous Birthday!


It's time for a sketch challenge!  This week Deborah Smart has created an awesome sketch challenge for the Watercooler Wednesday Challenge.  I love sketches because they can be flipped onto their sides, turned upside down or, of course, used precisely the way they're shown.  It's always a choice.  I really liked Deborah's sketch but it just wouldn't work for what I had in mind.


So I took Deb's sketch and I flipped it 90 degrees to the right and that worked perfectly for the stamp set I had in mind.  I had a birthday card in mind for my niece and knew she would love the Fairy Celebration images.  Now I could use them for the card.

I toyed with the idea of using Designer Series Paper for my background.  But I knew what I wanted and that design simply wasn't available---and so I stamped what I wanted, of course.  The base for my card is the Heavy Whisper White and then I've added a layer of Pacific Point which I covered with images from the Balloon Celebration stamp set.  Why that set?  Because I wanted it to look like the bright blue sky was covered with floating dandelion seeds and stars.  I heat embossed the dandelion seeds using White Embossing Powder and the stars using Silver Embossing Powder.  I left an open area on the lower left side for my sentiment, from the Thoughtful Banners set, which I also heat embossed using the White Embossing Powder.

My little fairy is stamped using Archival Basic Gray ink and then watercoloured using my AquaPainter and my Stampin' Up! inks.  Once it dried, I double matted it, first with a narrow layer of Pacific Point and then with a layer of Dazzling Diamonds Glimmer Paper.   Across the top of the card I added a strip of the striped Affectionately Yours Designer Washi tape as well as a narrower strip of the Dazzling Diamonds Glimmer Paper.


I'm so happy with the way the card turned out.  You can see why it had to be turned on its end.  My image would never have fit if I had used the horizontal layout.

I hope you'll check out the other Watercooler Artists' creations at our Watercooler Wednesday Challenge.  I'm looking forward to seeing your card linked up to our challenge.

2 comments:

  1. Heidi you've created your own fairy tale with this beautiful and bright little card. What a treat it would be to receive this for your birthday. I love the addition of the Pacific Blue, an oft forgotten colour in our palette and the floating dandelions and stars. Along with the glimmer paper and your beautifully coloured fairy this card is so wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Penny. The Pacific Blue is one of my all-time favourite blues. No hints of greens or others colours---just a perfect blue. I had fun with those dandelion seeds. They're the reason I bought that stamp set to begin with, because during Sale-a-bration we had that wonderful DSP with floating dandelion seeds and so I knew I could have current paper anytime if I had the set with which to create it. I'll bet everyone else bought it for the balloons, right?

      Delete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.