Thursday 16 April 2015

The Wacky Watercooler April (Fools) Blog Hop












If you've been joining us for our monthly blog hops, you'll probably be wondering why there are water bottles at the sides of the banner instead of those old-fashioned water-coolers.  Well, this is April and even though it's no longer the official April Fool's Day, we're improvising and having our own version.  One of our projects has to be something that isn't what it seems.  I'm as much in the dark about everyone else's projects as you are and am dying to see what everyone's special project might be.  This should be a very entertaining blog hop.

Our Blog Hops run in a circular manner.  What this means is that no matter where you begin, as you go from one participant to the next, you will inevitably wind up at the point where you began.  I hope you'll find time to check out all our Blogs.

If you've been moving forward in the Blog Hop, you'll have joined me after visiting the very talented Marsha Reed's Blog.  Marsha is extremely creative and is on the design team of several Challenges.  I'm sure you loved her projects today.

* * * * * * * * * * 

My first project is a birthday card which I created for my brother-in-law.  It's very convenient having his birthday just when I needed an idea for another project.  Masculine birthday cards are such fun to create, especially when you have the Adventure Bound Designer Paper Stack.  For a guy who is very outdoors-y and loves wildlife, there are some wonderful paper design choices in that stack.


I love the way the quail looks, don't you?  It's from the Walk in the Wild stamp set.

* * * * * * * * * * 

My next card is for Mother's Day.  I hadn't used the Corner Garden background stamp yet and this seemed like the perfect Occasion.  I used a combination of stamp pads, Stampin' Markers and Blender Pens to colour the beautiful blooms.  


The card really didn't need anything more than the sentiment from the Sweet Laughter stamp set.

* * * * * * * * * * 

Finally, my third project is the surprise which isn't what it seems to be.  For this project I decided to make a Secret Door card.  I haven't made one of these cards since 2013 so it was definitely time to pull out my template and see what I could create.

The Secret Door card looks just like a simple gate fold card with a girdle around it.  


Even the inside doesn't hint at the difference.


But then you take the card, push the corner folds towards each other to meet at the back, and split the centre.  

The secret "door" opens and reveals messages that have been hidden from view.


Don't you just love it?  Who wouldn't want a wedding card like this?  The Something Borrowed Designer Series Paper is perfect, isn't it?  I had such fun making this card.  Yes, it's fussy and time-consuming, but when you've finished the card you forget all the fuss and bother.  


I think the added lace and embellishments on the girdle make it look just like a wedding garter.  

* * * * * * * * * * 

Well, that's it for my projects.  I hope you enjoyed them as much as I've enjoyed creating them.  If you get a moment, please leave a comment and let me know what you thought of them.

Your next stop will be with another very talented and creative member of our group, Jackie Susnik.  I'm sure you'll be amazed with her wonderful projects.





24 comments:

  1. You're secret door card is fantastic! Do you have a link that shows directions for this type of card?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna. I first made the hidden door card according to a tutorial on YouTube back in 2012. Then I created another one in 2013 (http://heidistampinalong.blogspot.ca/2013/04/would-you-like-to-see-hidden-door-how.html) which I had altered so it didn't have that tell-tale "checkerboard" inside. I've meant to post my instructions, especially since I make my card in the conventional 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" format unlike the others which have been posted. I'll post the full directions and tutorial next week.

      Delete
  2. I always love your projects. I especially love the wedding card and now have to try my hand at this. You have such wonderful ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine. I love the way this hidden door card looks "normal" inside. I'll post how I do that next week.

      Delete
  3. Heidi, such wonderful projects. I'm going to have to invest in the Adventure Bound Designer Paper Stack!

    Your secret door card is stunning! Love the band around the card - you're right, it does look like a garter. Simply beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marie. You won't regret getting the Adventure Bound paper stack. The designs are actually photographic images and work beautifully for both masculine and other cards. It's funny about the Something Borrowed paper. I thought it was dull because I don't use a lot of Sahara Sand but having made this card, I changed my mind about it. It's much prettier than I thought it would be.

      Delete
  4. I've never seen a "secret door card"--what a creation! Someone will be a very lucky recipient! Great projects...thanks for sharing, Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Priscilla. My nephew is getting married in August. I think they'll love the card.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, Kath. I haven't heard it called that before.

      Delete
  6. I am fascinated by the lovely secret door card. So very clever. I'll have to look for instructions for that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. There are several YouTube tutorials but they all have the tell-tale checkerboard inside. I'll post my version next week with the instructions.

      Delete
  7. OMG...Loving the secret door card,,what a SPECTACULAR wedding card. Thanks for sharing all your projects..so inspirational! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I'm so glad you enjoyed my projects.

      Delete
  8. Heidi, lovely projects. I love the birthday card with the bird. The secret door card just looks so complicated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jackie. I know my brother-in-law will love his birthday card. I went a bit overboard with the secret door card but generally speaking, there are a lot more complicated designs to make.

      Delete
  9. The secret door is so fun! And, you're right - the band does look like a garter. That was my first thought! The corner garden card is gorgeous. I think my favorite, though, is the "masculine" one. The quail is perfect with that paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Buffy. I really have "fallen in love" with that Adventure Bound paper. One has to keep things simple because it has so much detail, but it makes a wonderful background.

      Delete
  10. What wonderful projects Heidi. My dad would have loved the quail one. It looks so realistic almost like it could head off through the trees. Nicely done!
    I love how you coloured your second card. It's just so right for a Mother's day card, I know my mom would be thrilled to get it, she loves flowers so much. And, what can I say about your secret door card. You had be at the belly band, and sentiment. It really does look like a garter. Awesome. Thanks for sharing and running this awesome blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Penny. I love our Blog Hop group and the wonderful creations everyone shares. That sentiment from the Secret Door card is retired but I'll use it forever. It's one of the best wedding sentiments I've ever found.

      Delete
  11. Wonderful projects, Heidi. Love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. secret door, how neat. I hope the people notice it so they can open it!! Of course you would have awesome projects, you're no fool that's for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Ter, we had silly, foolish things happen. I'll never add "fool" to a blog title again.

      Delete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.