Tuesday 15 February 2022

WWC335 - Heidi's Challenge: "Anything Goes " Celebrating the End!

I can't believe I've made my last card for our wonderful Watercooler Wednesday Challenge.  It feels like a lifetime since our first post on June 1st, 2014.  It's been a wonderful "ride" and the experience has been fabulous.  I'm proud to have been part of the journey and to have "met" so many new people along the way.

Of course my last card has to be a jaw-dropping, ridiculously involved fancy fold.  Going out with a "bang" is part of my DNA.  This particular fold is the brainchild of the very talented Sam of "Mixed Up Craft".  Called the "Double Accordion Display Card", it takes a lot of materials and patience but it is so very worth the time.  Check it out for yourselves at her post (directions, templates and a handy UTube video are all included).


It's a big card!  Pushed absolutely flat, it measures an impressive 20" (nearly 51 cm) long and 6" (15.25 cm) tall.  It needs a belly-band to hold it closed.  Yes, it takes a lot of product.  I made it for my Grandson's 15th Birthday on February 16th (today) and tried to follow the Dungeons & Dragons theme that he loves.  


Since I used to be a Stampin' Up! Demo, I have a lot of the Company's patterned paper left over and, truly, it's high time that I begin to use it up or somehow get rid of it.  (I feel like a hoarder at times.)  Thankfully the Magical Day Suite has a lot of the characters I wanted for the card and so I fussy cut or die-cut several dragons, wizards, apprentices and castles to add to some of the many squares in this card.  I used a matte of the Red Foil first and then added the images or patterned paper.  Except for the images, I kept the colours to Basic Black, Basic Grey, and red.


As you can see, both of the accordion ends of the card have an assortment of these images.


For the centre panel, I used a matte of the Red Foil and then the "magical" black and white patterned paper.  Then I added a piece of Basic Grey cardstock, embossed with a brick pattern.  My dragon image is by The Stamp Barn.  I heat embossed it in black on Red Foil and then fussy cut it out.  For the claws, horns and teeth, I added a layer of Nuvo White and for the eye, I used a drop of a glittery green Stickles.  I love the way it turned out, don't you?  Incredibly, it looks even better in person.  I adhered a die-cut one and five, staggering the numbers, and then adhered the dragon so that it appears to be on top of the numbers.


The back of the folded up card, held together with the belly-band.  I added a sentiment panel here, using a matte of Basic Grey and then the white cardstock upon which I stamped the birthday wishes.  I'll be adding his name and our own greeting, of course.


Finally, the finished, folded card with its belly band.   I love the front with its embossed brick and the classic colours of the rest of the card.  I found an image of the Dungeons and Dragons which he loves and printed it on Epson Glossy Photo paper.  After cutting it out with a fancy-stitch rectangular die, I mounted the image panel on a piece of Red Foil. It is the finishing touch to an extremely demanding creation.  I love it and hope you do, too. 


Have fun checking out our Watercooler Wednesday Challenge and I hope you'll link your creation before the deadline on Monday, February 28th, 2022.

I've also entered my card at the following challenges:

 Unicorn Challenge Blog #97 - Let's See Red

 AAA Birthday Card Challenges #34 - Patterns

Crafting Happiness Challenges #120 - Anything Goes

A Place to Start Challenge #202202 - Anything Goes


11 comments:

  1. Heidi, this is a stunning piece of art! I love Sam's tutorials (that's where mine was from!) I hope the recipient loves this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you did an amazing job! Your card is stunning! Your grandson will love it! I love the dragon's theme. Thank you for sharing your beautiful creation at AAA Birthday! Good luck and keep crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! What an incredible and dramatic use of pattern and colour! Thanks for playing at AAA Birthday, hope to see you join in with future challenges too. Stay safe and keep crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great fun card design. Thanks for joining us at The Unicorn Challenge Blog for our "Let's see Reds" challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic fold card, love the color combo. Just perfect. Thanks for joining us at A Place To Start. DT Vesna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I must agree that you are going out "in a blaze of glory!" The double accordian fold is quite impressive, but I think it is your color choices that have truly elevated this design. Your project is beautifully organized and graphically perfect! What an awesome card for your precious grandson!
    Thanks for stopping by A Place To Start !
    Hugz,
    Chana Malkah, Owner
    Redora Lee Designs , My Blog
    A Place to Start , Challenge Blog
    613 Avenue Create , Owner

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! You were selected as a RISING STAR for the week of February 14-20, 2022 at A Place to Start ! Please stop by our blog and grab your badge
    The Design Team

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome card and shake! Thank you for playing along at the Unicorn challenge. Good luck with your entry.

    Greetings Marga dt

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a brilliant card Heidi, so many fabulous details, I bet your grandson absolutely loved it, thankyou for a wonderful challenge and look forward to bumping in to you in blogland, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure this brilliant card was very well received Heidi!! So striking with the red and black colours. A perfect end. Thanks so much for all your assistance and friendship over the years. I have loved being part of the wonderful DT and seeing all the amazing creattions unfold. Best of luck with your future projects. Enjoy a rest! Stay safe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love your fun folded card! Thanks for joining our AAA Birthday challenge!

    ReplyDelete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.