Thursday 16 June 2016

The Wacky Watercooler June Blog Hop -- Celebrating the new Annual Catalogue


Welcome to our celebration of the new Annual Catalogue.  It's always exciting to leaf through a new catalogue, oooohing and aaaahing over the brand new products which we can add to our already bulging craft shelves.  This challenge is all about our favourites.  Truth be told, my favourites change with each day.  It seems whatever new product I use becomes my favourite.  Ask me in another month or so, and I will probably have come to a realization of which products please me the most.

As you will remember, if you've wandered through our blog hops before, our blog hop is presented in a circular fashion.  What does that mean?  Wherever you begin in our blog hop, whether you go forwards or backwards through the participants, eventually you will wind up precisely where you began.  I hope you'll take time to visit all the participating blogs and, perhaps, leave a short message letting us know  what you've thought of our posts.

If you've been moving forwards through the blog hop, you'll have arrived here from the very talented Jean Fitch.  Weren't her projects terrific?

* * * * * * * * * * 

My first project is all about my favourite Designer Style paper.  While I love the copper embossing on the Affectionately Yours Specialty Designer Series paper, the endless possibilities of the Irresistibly Floral Designer Series paper takes the lead for me.  There is no end to the colours I can use with this paper since it gives the opportunities of an emboss resist technique.  And the designs?  Absolutely fabulous!

I had a ball with the two designs I chose for my card.  The first one is just a strip of the lattice pattern and I used Marina Mist re-inker, water, and a wide brush to colour the white background.  After it had dried, I "buffed" the paper lightly to remove any blue marks from the embossed area.  The other design has a variety of flowers and leaves which are embossed.  Instead of putting a wash of colour over the whole paper, I decided to watercolour each flower and leaf.  Yes, it took a bit of time but I really like the end result.  The centres of the flowers have been heat embossed with the new Copper embossing powder.  I also heat embossed a spray of leaves from the Kinda Eclectic set with the Copper embossing powder and then fussy-cut it out.


Yes, I've used a variety of colours but they are wonderful together.  In total I used Whisper White (of course), Sweet Sugarplum, Rich Razzleberry, Marina Mist and Mint Macaron.  My sentiment is from the Thoughtful Banners set and was cut out using the Duet Banner punch.

* * * * * * * * * * 

My second project is all about my favourite new In-Color.  That was a hard choice.  They're new and I love them all.  If I'm pushed to the wall and have to make a choice, however, I would pick Dapper Denim as my top favourite with Peekaboo Peach running a close second.  Why those two?  Well, I love blues and Dapper Denim fills a colour void in the line-up.  It's a beautiful colour whether using the cardstock, stamping or watercolouring.  I can imagine myself using the colour happily on many of my cards.  Why the Peekaboo Peach?  Quite honestly, it's so different from any colour that we have or have had during my nearly five years with Stampin' Up!  It's not an orange and not a yellow but it has a both a warmth and wonderful tones that make me happy when I use it.


For my card I've used the SwirlyScribbles thinlits as well as the splatters from the Swirly Birds set.  I used the Dapper Denim for the splatters but offstamped once before adding them to the front of the card.  If you look closely, the hint of Peekaboo Peach is actually the cluster of flowers from the Birthday Blooms set.


The inside is a real surprise.  I've added a pop-up butterfly which, after stamping the large butterfly from the Watercolor Wings set using Dapper Denim and Peekaboo Peach, I've cut out using the Butterflies thinlits.

* * * * * * * * * * 

My final project features  my favourite stamp set/bundle.  Again, a hard decision.  I've loved all the ones I've been using.  I was tempted to use one of the bundles but then I realized that my favourite truly is the Country Livin' stamp set.  I guess my family has a bit of the cowboy in our blood because the boots and the guitar just "speak" to me.  I can see myself using this stamp set happily for years to come.


The card I've made is a special fold called the Swing Easel card.  I found several on Pinterest which were posted by the talented Amanda Bates but when I found the instructions on her blog site, discovered that all the measurements are in metric and the card size is different from our "normal" sizes.  And so I adapted the card to measure 5 1/2" x 5 1/2" when folded.  I'll share the adapted measurements in a different blog post.


In order to have the guitar neck stand nicely instead of bending, I had to use a piece of the retired Poster Board onto which I glued my fussy-cut image and then fussy-cut the Poster Board around it.  The colours I've used are Whisper White, Tip Top Taupe, Soft Suede, Peekaboo Peach, Watermelon Wonder, Cajun Craze, Smoky Slate, Basic Grey, Old Olive, Marina Mist and Soft Sky.  The watercolouring took some time because it was layered but I love the result, especially the beat-up, rusty quality of the old truck.

* * * * * * * * * * 

And that's it for my projects.  I hope you've enjoyed them as much as I enjoyed creating them.  From here you'll be visiting another wonderfully creative stamper, Deborah Smart.



22 comments:

  1. Awesome cards Heidi! The copper leaves are soo pretty! I am sort of partial to the Swirly Scribbles........but, I love the country feel of the last card too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Libby. I've fallen in love with the Copper embossing powder.

      Delete
  2. Heidi, I love your last card! I bought the stamp set but haven't used ite yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kath. I've used it a couple of times and just fall more deeply in love with the images each time. I just wish they had included a cowboy hat.

      Delete
  3. Heidi, I love all your projects. You have such an eye for detail and it shows in all your cards. If I had to pick a favorite I guess it would be the Country Livin' card. I love the way you colored your images, especially the boots and guitar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marie. I love watercolouring and this stamp set really lends itself well to that.

      Delete
  4. Great cards, Heidi--I can't tell which I like best. The copper accents on the first one are perfect. And I love how you used the Swirly Scribbles "wave" on the butterfly card (along with the beautiful "pop up" butterfly on the inside). But I think your watercoloring of the easel card is spectacular--those boots look real! Very nice!! Now please demo that fancy fold--what a great look! Wonderful cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Priscilla. I will be posting another card and the template for that fold this coming week.

      Delete
  5. I love your colour combinations, Heidi! The most difficult part of doing this hop was having to choose 'favourites' to feature - everything is just so wonderful. I've never seen that 'swing easel card' fold before; I'm looking forward to your tutorial. Another wonderful hop, all around! Thanks for keeping us all going :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deb. It will be interesting to see what our favourites will be when we say goodbye to some of them at the end of this catalog.

      Delete
  6. Heidi your projects as always are so wonderful. You really made that DSP pop with all the colours and I love your Swirley Bird and Scribbles card. The inside pop up was great. I honestly was knocked over with your Swing Easel card and how you adapted the Country Livin' stamp set to the design. Simply gorgeous on all counts. Your last two cards using the Country Livin' have made me add it to my wish list. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Penny. I love that Country Livin' stamp set. I thought it would be versatile and was, happily, right. I'll be keeping this one even after it retires.

      Delete
  7. Love all of your projects Heidi! And I totally agree with you about Pekaboo Peach - didn't think I would like it as much as I do. The Country Living set speaks to me also, and I never thought there was much cowboy in me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gail. I think we all have a touch of "country" in us.

      Delete
  8. Country Living is out of this World.... Love that card....
    Faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Faith. Love the stamp set---it's part of my permanent stash.

      Delete
  9. Love your projects, Heidi! I've now added that Country Living to my wish list. I like the way you used the Swirly Scribbles dies along with the butterfly. And, that copper, well I can't get enough of it. It is turning out to be a favorite. I like the DSP and it wasn't on my list before, either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marsha. What would you do if I didn't enable you?

      Delete
  10. 3 fabulous cards Heidi... But your swing Easel card is just out of this country world!!! Absolutely love it!! And thanks so much for the shout out.... As a result I was able to find you and visit and see your fabulous make.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Amanda. I appreciate that...and taking the trouble to find me.

      Delete
  11. Where is the post regarding the measurements for your third card?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've posted two separate cards, a square and a conventional 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 here http://heidistampinalong.blogspot.ca/2016/06/the-swing-easel-fun-with-sizes.html

      Delete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.