Wednesday 13 April 2016

WWC63 - A Beautiful Birthday


I love colour challenges!  They force me to use colours that I would most likely not think to combine and, because of that, help me to think outside my comfortable little "box".  Kath's colours for this week's challenge are a delight, especially this time of the year.  They immediately made me think of Spring.


For this colour challenge I kept rigidly to the colours.  As with any colour challenge, adding one or two neutrals is allowed so that one can make the colours work more comfortably together or to provide a neutral base on which to showcase the colours.  For my card I chose to use Whisper White as my base.  I also used Whisper White embossing powder with which to heat emboss my sentiment.  I also used Watermelon Wonder cardstock as a separating layer between the two layers of Whisper White and for the Decorative Label on which the sentiment was heat embossed, I used the Watermelon Wonder and added a backing of So Saffron.

The rest of the card was stamped using only the colour challenge inks.  I used a variety of stamp sets which shouldn't come as a surprise for anyone that follows my blog.  The first thing I stamped was the hummingbird from the Picture Perfect set.  I used all four colours for that.  Then I stamped the same image onto a scrap piece of typing paper and cut it out so that I could mask the stamped hummingbird and use other stamps around it without stamping into  my image.

The leaves and the sentiment are from the Birthday Blossoms set.  The flower is from the Everything Eleanor set.  The rest of the background stamping is a combination of Pear Pizzazz flourishes and So Saffron spotches from the Timeless Textures set.  And if you look closely there are also some tiny Blushing Bride blossoms at the top and the bottom.  Each of the background images was off-stamped to reduce the colour and ensure they would not take any attention away from the main images.


I hope you'll have a look at the wonderful cards created by the other Watercooler Artists at the Watercooler Wednesday Challenge this week.  And then, create your own and link up to participate in our challenge.

I've also added my card to the Seize the Birthday \Challenge.

6 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous Heidi! Lots of detailed work here and the result is truly amazing. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for those kind words, Louise. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  2. Stunning card - I love that stamp and hummingbirds are one of my favourite birds - used to love seeing them in Colorado when we used to live Stateside. Sadly none here in the UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Fiona. I wonder why there are no hummingbirds in the UK. Is that true of all of Europe?

      Delete
    2. Hummingbirds are always so fascinating, and you certainly have brought life to this little guy with your beautiful colouring. Great background and sentiment placement don't take away from his beauty. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Penny. Kath's wonderful colours certainly made it easy to create my card.

      Delete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.