Whether it's for the hostess or a special gift for a friend or relative, this Card Gift Case is sure to be appreciated. I love making 3-D projects and so possible projects are forever incubating in my busy brain. Yesterday I suddenly had a "vision" of a cute Card Gift Case and, of course, I had to try to make it a reality.
I had bought the Twitterpated DSP when it was first introduced but hadn't used much of it in any projects. The darker flower pattern, with the Basic Grey as a background, had been left untouched. This time I decided to use it, not only as the main focal point, but also to decide the colours of cardstock which I would use in the project.
It was easy enough to choose the colours listed for the DSP. The Riding Hood Red cardstock was a perfect match as were the Basic Grey cardstock and the Blushing Bride cardstock. When it came to the suggested Baja Breeze, I came to a standstill. The dye colour in my DSP was in no way related to the Baja Breeze. Actually the only cardstock that didn't "fight" with the blue in the DSP was the Marina Mist, and so I went with that choice. Every light source (and even my camera) confirmed that this was the right match.
I had decided to use 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" cards and the matching envelopes (5 3/4" x 4 3/8") in this project therefore I knew that the Card Gift Case had to be larger than the envelopes in order to fit everything easily. I also knew that I had to allow some space in each pocket as well. The following template allowed for easy closing of the Gift Card Case as well as easy insertion of the cards and the envelopes.
I used the Marina Mist for the 6" x 9 1/4" cardstock and then cut another piece the same size in the Twitterpated DSP. I scored both as shown in the template. Because I find nothing sticks better than the Sticky Tape, I used that along the sides and also in the centre between the fold lines. Lining the two up was one of the most challenging portions of this project. Once the Sticky Tape sticks, it won't let go so be very careful doing this step.
I chose to do one pocket on the inside in Marina Mist cardstock and the other pocket in the Twitterpated DSP. Really, it's anyone's choice here, as is the addition of the scalloped edge. You can see where the pocket has two scored lines along three edges. This is necessary in order to give sufficient depth to the pockets so that cards or envelopes can fit inside without ripping the pocket or bulging out. Again, I used Sticky Tape along the 1/4" fold so that the pockets would be permanent and not give during the insertion of the cards or envelopes.
The rest...the "bling" and the decorations are up to the individual. I can see where this would have a totally different personality if it had been done in, for example, the Well Worn DSP or another DSP. I love the old-fashioned "feel" that this Twitterpated DSP gives my project, but I can see myself doing it again in totally different paper.
I chose to do the cards using the same Twitterpated DSP, having each card's main cardstock in a different colour within the Twitterpated DSP. Therefore one card has Basic Grey as its main background colour:
Another card has Riding Hood Red as its main background colour:
I left mine without any "closure" since it stays nice and flat and shut without help.
I hope you'll enjoy making your own version of this Card Gift Case. Blessings to all. :)