Thursday 1 August 2013

Doing it your way! (I've just done it my way.)

Have you ever been frustrated that you can't find the stamp that you've imagined in your head?  You know what I mean.  You're making a project.  You have a specific look and design in mind.  Everything is falling into place.  And then you hit a snag.  That's right!  You can't find the stamp that says exactly what you want---or that has exactly the image you know would be perfect.  Well, that doesn't have to be a problem any longer.  You can actually buy a kit and make that stamp yourself.  Whoa!  That doesn't work for you because you have ten thumbs and are simply not an artist?  What about all those great cards, scrapbook pages and projects you've made?  Of course you can do it.  And if you can't draw it, the internet offers all sorts of designs free of charge.

So you've heard all this before in this blog post, right?  Yes, I've told you about the kit and refill already but that was before I had a chance to play with it myself.  To recap, this is what the kit looks like once you open it:

First of all, I love those carving tools!  They fit into your hand so nicely that it feels very comfortable carving into the rubber.  At first I have to admit it is a bit daunting to have blank rubber in front of you while you're holding a carving tool.  The rubber is so perfect---not a mark on it.  I was very hesitant in putting that first mark on it.  But once I did, it began feeling quite natural and good to be carving into it.  

Did I use one of the designs that are provided?  No, I had my own little cartoon and then free-handed the script.  It's quite obvious that I'm a novice when you look at the results, but I still had fun doing it and my next stamp will be much better.  Yes, I'm already thinking in terms of "next" instead of, "well, done that and I'm over it".  Actually, I'm quite excited about doing another stamp.  Oh my goodness!  Is this going to become as addictive as buying stamps has been?

Now that I've gone through the agony of carving the stamp, I should show you what I made, right?  Always taking the more difficult route, I carved my first stamp to fit into one of the brand new Chalk Talk framelits.  Yeah, I know, why not make it harder for myself, right?

Anyway, the little guy's name is Mugsy.  He's a throwback to a mascot I designed for my high school library when I belonged to the Library Club.  I just had to resurrect him.  I used Chocolate Chip for my stamping ink, Chocolate Chip for my base cardstock, and added some Sahara Sand for his face and Blushing Bride for his ears.  His eyes are Summer Starfruit as  is the embossed cardstock behind the image.  It's a bit crude, but I love it.


It's just a little 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" card, but I love it!  Now---don't you want to make a stamp?

9 comments:

  1. Brilliant Heidi. I love your Mugsy. The little guy has so much personality shining through. Thanks for demystifying the carving. It feels less scary to dive in when I know a friend has done it with great results. Good to know about the fit of the tools. From looking at a picture I have of them they looked like they had a nice ergonomic design like so many of Stampin' Up's tools. Can't wait to see your next stamp!

    BTW...have I mentioned I love your banner on the blog. It makes me happy just looking at all those gorgeous butterlies you've created.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jean. Mugsy has been a close friend since I first drew him in High School. Of course he's a bit the worse for wear in this carving. I hope to do another one of him looking like the dapper cat he truly can be.

      My banner came about in a convoluted way. I had never intended to take a photo that would become my banner, but had lined these particular cards and projects up as part of photographing quite a number of projects that I didn't want to physically take to a Scrapbooking Full-Day Crop. Constantly carrying things like this around doesn't do them a whole lot of good because they are, after all, only paper. Going through the prints, my daughter pointed out that this particular one would be a great banner for my Facebook business page. I play with it and made a heading for it---and the rest is history. BTW, have you figured out yet that I love butterflies?

      Delete
    2. I agree with Jean about your header! Looks great!!

      Delete
  2. That is an awesome stamp! I wish I could draw. I want to try this, but afraid nothing will come out good. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jason, thanks a lot. I enjoyed making the stamp and was totally stoked when it turned out well enough to actually use on a card. I had my doubts going in. As for being able to draw, there are countless images on the internet which are free and could be printed out and transferred to your rubber. Start small. Take a deep breath. It's not a whole lot harder than making a good card and you've already proven you can make those. Good luck. :)

      Delete
  3. I LOVE IT!!!!

    I am looking forward to getting mine (should arrive tomorrow) but I'm also nervous! I don't know how well I will do.

    This though, gave me an idea for another hop.... an UNDEFINED hop!!! What do you think????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Ter, I think it would be a lot of fun if we had enough of the Watercoolians interested in the Undefined. It certainly might interest a few more "on the fence" customers if they witnessed our trials and triumphs and could read about some of the ways we've discovered for making the whole carving process work more easily.

      Delete
    2. I agree! Hopefully we can get a few people interested!!

      I got my kit yesterday so hopefully I'll be able to give it a try this weekend... I'm so nervous about it!! :)

      Delete
    3. Deep breath, Terri. It's only rubber. Try one of those cheap dollar store erasers if only to see how much pressure you need to put on the tools. Better the eraser gets a couple of unnecessary gouges than the expensive rubber. But it's easy enough and you're meticulous so I know you'll do an impressive job. Carve a cute little bear. :) *hugs*

      Delete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.