Monday 3 December 2012

Have you seen a penny roller?

I found out about penny rollers a few months ago.  Jean Fitch gave me a link and I was hooked. Of course I had to try making one.  The result is a card that I absolutely love.  I have it on display in my crafts room and every time I go by it, I have to make that penny roll.  After all those rolls, I can report that the card still looks as good as new.  Kudos to the Stampin' Up! cardstock.  It really is superior to any other I've used.

I made my penny roller card as simply as possible, to put all the focus on the cute little rolling penguin.  Yes, that's what I said: a rolling penguin.  The adorable little penguin is one of the stamps from the Polar Party stamp set.  Actually the trees I've stamped on the front of the card are from that set as well.  I love the way they look with the Northern Flurry embossing folder.  Simple, yet striking in their simplicity.

How did I make the penny roller?  I used a base cardstock of Naturals White, 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" folded in half to make a 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" card.  Then I took a 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" piece of Naturals White and put it through the Big Shot in the Northern Flurry embossing folder.  That folder allows a nice clear area for stamping and that's where I stamped the three trees from the Polar Party stamp set.  Then I used my Word Punch. I began approximately 1/2" from the left edge, and brought the punch up to the base of the trees.  Continuing to punch across the bottom of the cardstock in the same line, I finished approximately 1/2" from the right edge. Placing this embossed piece of cardstock onto the base cardstock so that all sides match, I then stamped one line of the sentiment from the Polar Party stamp set through the punched out area, onto the base cardstock.

Then I coloured the trees.  Next I stamped one of the penguins from the stamp set onto Whisper White and coloured it.  I also punched out a 3/4" circle of Whisper White.  I fussy-cut around the penguin and mounted him onto the 3/4" circle.  It looked as if he was sitting on a giant snowball.

Next I placed dimensionals around the perimeter of the embossed cardstock and across the middle, being careful to keep the dimensionals well away from the line punched with the Word Punch.  I carefully mounted the embossed cardstock onto the base cardstock.

The next step was to create the "penny roller" portion of the card.  The 3/4" white circle is just about the exact size of a penny so I mounted the penguin/snowball onto one penny with double-sided tape (Sticky Strip).  Then I placed a dimensional in the centre of a second penny and joined the two pennies together.  It was easy to slip the bottom penny carefully through the punched line.  And there it is!  A penny roller.


I just love this little guy.  He spins back and forth and always makes me chuckle.

Don't you just love it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.