Wednesday 17 June 2015

SIP #1 --- Picking favourites isn't easy!

I found a brand new challenge!  And when I say brand new, I'm not just talking about it being brand new for me.  No, this challenge is truly brand new.  I'm submitting my card for the very first challenge they are having.  Excited?  I surely am.

SIP Any Challenge 1

This challenge is all about using favourites.  So it's the cardmaker's choice as to the ink colours, stamp sets and papers which will be used.  For me, whatever I am using at the moment is a favourite.  I'm a lot like my young grandson who, when he's asked which colour is his favourite, always answers that they're ALL his favourite.  And really, depending on the stamp set used or the occasion for which the card is being made, each colour has its "day".  Yes, there are some I reach for more frequently, but it's probably because of my style rather than because they're my favourite.

The same goes for stamp sets.  At the moment I have several that I absolutely adore.  Yes, they are my temporary favourites but that's because they're new.  When I first saw them in the new catalogue I knew I would include them in my first order.  I've used all three and am still totally in love.  Today I'm going to use one of them, the From Land to Sea stamp set.  The other two will be featured among my projects in tomorrow's Wacky Watercooler Blog Hop.  Oh, and they're amazing!

I began today's project with a piece of Shimmery White specialty cardstock and some inks drawn over a plastic window sheet and sprayed with Isopropyl Alcohol.  Once I had the colours all mixed and "swirly", I put my piece of cardstock into the mixture and spritzed it a bit more with the alcohol.  Then I took it out and let it dry.  The colours I used were Pool Party, Bermuda Bay, and Hello Honey.  Mixed and swirled together, they remind me of an underwater scene, which is good because that's what I was aiming for.

I took another piece of Shimmery White paper and stamped the sea turtle image onto it using Memento ink.  Once my coloured piece was totally dry, I used Versamark and white embossing powder to heat emboss two Jellyfish images, leaving lots of room in between for the turtle.  Once I had coloured the turtle, I fussy-cut the image.  Those who know me are aware of my addiction to fussy-cutting.

For my base, I used the new heavy Whisper White, then a layer of Hello Honey and then a layer of Bermuda Bay.   My turtle is raised up on Dimensionals to add 2-D effect.  My sentiment is stamped in Memento black ink and is from Guy Greetings.


I hope you'll check out the new Stamp Ink Paper Challenge.

17 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Your card is amazing! I absolutely love the background technique. I will definitely need to give it a try and hope mine turns out half as beautiful as yours. Thanks so much for joining us this week at Stamp, Ink, Paper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Tina. What I love about that technique is that it always turns out differently. That's the magic of it.

      Delete
  2. Heidi, so serene and peaceful. I just love the turtle. Gorgeous! Thank you for joining us and making Stamp Ink Paper card challenge a huge success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Maggie. I fell in love with the turtle and bought the stamp set for it. The other images are wonderful, too, of course.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing this beautiful card! I adore this stamp set but wasn't sure how I would use it, and you have provided a great jumping off point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Laura. I know what you mean about using the set. Until I played around with making my own background paper, I wasn't sure what to do. I love the realism of the images. They should also combine well with the By the Tide stamp set images.

      Delete
    2. Hi Heidi, That's what I thought! By The Tide has been on my wishlist! I think these tow sets will be awesome for making wall art as well as cards. I love realistic images!

      Delete
  4. This is stunning, Heidi. Your background is beautiful, and your turtle is coloured to perfection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Doris. I like checking the internet for photos of the animals which I plan to colour. It makes me happy to get them to look as natural as possible.

      Delete
  5. when I'm done my craft sale next week I will hopefully get into the challenges again. I don't know if I'll actually blog much though, but if I at least DO the challenges, that'd be a good start. :D I've been doing a lot of creating lately, so that's good. Just not photographing and blogging as the time is limited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terri, it's not the blogging or photographing that is important, but the creating. I think that's what fills a special need inside us. But, truth be told, I've missed seeing what you've created. Hope you'll be able to find a balance where you will be able to share a few things as well as continue to be creative.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on being a Design Team favorite at SIP, Heidi!! Your card is incredible!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Darnell. I was so excited to read your message this morning and have posted the badge to my blog. I'll be interested in seeing your future challenges.

      Delete
  7. Heidi, this card is stunning. Your use of colors for the background are wonderful. The placement of the jelly fish is perfect. Love the turtle.

    I am going to have to try the background technique and now have this set onmy wish list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marie. I fell deeply in love with the stamp set the moment I set eyes on it and so it was in my first order. The turtle was my primary focus but I loved the realism of the other images as well. I swam beside a sea turtle in Hawaii and took a video of it as well as numerous photos. I have a "thing" for those wonderful creatures. The colours are based on the colours in my photos. As for the background, I love experimenting with my re-inkers and alcohol spritzers and dipping different papers in the colours. One of my favourites is the Shimmery White paper. The results are almost always more spectacular using that paper. The Whisper White absorbs too quickly. Good luck. :)

      Delete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.