Wednesday 30 November 2016

WWC96 - A Surprise Pop-Up Card


I love special folds!  There are so many types and I know I have barely skimmed the top of the vast barrel full that have been created.  The fun is in finding a new one and using it in a special way for a card of one's own.  This week Gail is giving me that opportunity by hosting a Special Fold Challenge.  Any type of special fold is allowed.  The problem, for me, is deciding on just one.


I didn't want to use  a fold that I've already done for this challenge so I went out and searched for a new (for me) fold.  Since Gail's challenge launches on my husband's birthday, I decided that my creation would also be his birthday card.  Two birds and all that jazz.

I found the perfect fold on the SplitCoastStampers site.  They have a wonderful library of folds and techniques.  This one would be perfect.  For details and a great tutorial by Beate Johns, you can click HERE.

I decided to use some of the Serene Scenery Specialty Designer Paper.  The leafy design was perfect for what I had in mind.  Along with that I used Always Artichoke, Crumb Cake, Marina Mist and Whisper White cardstocks.  I followed the steps of the tutorial pretty closely and the result is a nice, masculine looking card like this.


That's the closed version.  When the ribbon is pulled and the tag comes up, the centre folds and the oval with the elk stands like an easel.  As if that's not cool enough, the greeting becomes visible at the top where I've heat embossed the "Happy Birthday" in white.  Below the easel, you can also see the sentiment which I stamped in black.


Where I veered away from the tutorial is visible at the back of the tag.  You can see I've added a pocket which appears when the tag is pulled up.  It's exactly the right size for a gift card, which is what I'm enclosing for my husband.


And this is how the card can sit with the centre standing like an easel.  Cute?  I think so.


Stamps:  The Wilderness Awaits, Butterfly Basics, Happy Happenings
Papers:  Serene Scenery paper stack, Always Artichoke, Crumb Cake, Marine Mist,
Whisper White
Inks:  Versamark and White embossing powder, Basic Black Archival ink, Marina Mist,
Crumb Cake, Soft Suede
Tools:  Stampin' Trimmer, Heat Gun, Aqua Brush, Layering Ovals Framelits

I hope you've enjoyed my card.  It was such fun trying out this new special fold.  For more special folds created by the rest of the Watercooler Artists, check out the Watercooler Wednesday Challenge.

Oh, and before I forget, we also have a special treat this week.  That talented special-folds artist, Bronwyn Eastley from Australia, is our Guest Designer this week.  And guess what she is offering to everyone who visits her blog?  The tutorial for her wonderful Z-Fold Spinner card will be free to download during the week of our challenge.

6 comments:

  1. Heidi, what a great birthday card for your hubby. I like that you made it your own by adding the gift card slot at the back of the tag. Genius! Your choice of paper and stamps makes this such a great masculine card too. Thanks for sharing the link to Beate's tutorial. I think I'll be copying this wonderful surprise pop up card too! Happy Stamping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Penny. I try to make Ken's cards "outdoorsy" but coming up with a different design of card each time gets more difficult. I do like this little tag/easel card and plan to use it for several other birthdays (and maybe Christmas) as well. Enjoy.

      Delete
  2. What an awesome card for hubby. I have only made one slider card and you have inspired me to make some more. Thanks for inviting me along to Watercooler Wednesdays as a Guest DT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bronwyn. Ken loved it (almost as much as the gift card, lol). It's been a pleasure having you as our guest. It's not a very busy time of the year for the challenge, but I know your wonderful card was appreciated by our followers.

      Delete
  3. Brilliant card Miss Heidi. All the elements fit perfectly together. That word fabulousness in the sentiment cracks me up every time. I'm sure Ken will enjoy the love and creativity you put into the project. Thanks for sharing the link to the tutorial. This is a card style I've been meaning to try for quite some time but can never remember what it's called so I can look for a tutorial! :D
    BTW - Your link to Bronwyn's tutorial goes to a dead end. Thanks for the reminder that her free tutorial is only good for this week. Couldn't get it to work with my Kindle but thankfully my desktop computer managed the task. Brilliant card wasn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know the link wasn't working. I thought I had copied it correctly and it worked for the Watercooler Wednesday Challenge. It's corrected now and working like a charm.

      Delete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.