Saturday 28 March 2015

A Surprise Inside! SUO 119 -- Fun Folds

Many of you commented that you would like the measurement for a card that I showcased on my most recent Wacky Watercooler Blog Hop post.  At the time I had not yet re-designed the card for our usual 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" format.  The card which I presented for the hop was very oversized and, unless you make your own envelopes or wish to use a 5" x 7" envelope, the card simply was too large.  And so, over the weekend, I fiddled around with the original measurements used by the originator of the design, Desire Fourie.  Happily, the smaller design still packs the same "WOW" factor and so, today, I will share the measurements and the template.

My main colours for this card are Smoky Slate, Blackberry Bliss, Whisper White, Blushing Bride and Wild Wasabi.  There are also traces of other colours due to the colourful design I used from the Painted Blooms Designer Series Paper.

The base, in whatever colour you choose, will be the "normal" 8 1/2" x 5 1/2" cardstock scored down the centre at 4 1/4".  For the front whatever you choose to do does not affect the remainder of the design of the card.  You probably want to think of a theme.

For the inside, which is what the whole template and instructions are all about, cut a piece of cardstock to 8 1/4" x 5 1/4".  Score at 4 1/8".  Next, follow the template which I show below:


This template should be a large enough file to print out.  The remaining images in this post are reduced files.  To recap, along the long side, cut 7/8" from the edge from 7/8" until 7 3/8" on each side.

Then, along the short side, down the centre.  Each line is a score-line as follows:  7/8", 1 5/8", 4 1/8", 6 5/8", 7 3/8".  Do not extend the score-lines into the skinny areas above and below the cut-line. Along the skinny piece above and below that centre, score as follows:  2 5/8", 4 1/8",  5 5/8".

Yes, there are a lot of measurements in  the eighths, but in order to make the design work in the 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" card format, it was necessary.

The template also shows you the mountains and valleys that you will fold.

Once you've decorated the inside piece to your satisfaction, you can adhere it to the base card.  This photo will show you where to put the glue/snail/tape (your choice) in order to make the design work:


It's a bit fussy but the reaction of the recipient is well worth it.  Have fun!


The front of my card.

                                                   The inside of my card.

I've decided to enter my special fold card into the SUO Challenge since they are asking for fun fold cards.

16 comments:

  1. Oh, this all looks wonderful; thank you so much for sharing your details! Your card is GORGEOUS! Thanks again, Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Donna. I made sure the template was a large enough file to print. Enjoy.

      Delete
  2. Love the fold that you have created- so fun and unique!! The colors are fabulous and I am sure the receipient will be thrilled!! Thanks for playing along with us at SUO Challenges :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Julie. It's fun having a surprise fold inside.

      Delete
  3. Wow, I know the contest isn't over yet, but I'm calling you the "winner"! Its so rare that people take the time out to provide all the details on how to make their cards. I've never seen an interactive card like this before (and I've seen a lot!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kathy. What a sweet thing to say. I really appreciate that.

      Delete
  4. Great fold idea, and one I would certainly like to try!! So glad you joined us for SUO challenges this wee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Julia. I'm glad you liked the special fold.

      Delete
  5. Love this card with the double panel inside! So pretty done up with that DSP! Thanks for playing along with the SUO Challenge this time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Connie. It's a fun fold and quite the surprise for the recipient.

      Delete
  6. FANTASTIC job on your fancy fold - you knocked it outta the park~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Karen. I appreciate that.

      Delete
    2. Congratulations! Love your card, and thanks so much for the awesome tutorial!

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Kathy. I'm glad you enjoyed the tutorial.

      Delete
  7. Heidi this is a great fun fold card. Congratulations on making the top 3 featured artisans on the SUO Challenge blog. I will be using this fold in a technique class soon. Love the card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marty. I was thrilled to be picked for the top three.

      Delete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.