Monday 16 April 2018

Pets - the April Twofer Challenge

One of my Mum's favourite pets was her budgerigar, Ringo.  Now you have to understand that Ringo was her favourite Beatle and she felt the bird's beak was on a par with Ringo's rather well-formed nose.  Mum had taught her Ringo a number of words and phrases, one of which was "hurry up".  Apparently my sister and I were told that so many times in the morning, getting ready for school, that the bird began  nagging us as well.

Imagine my delight when Stampin' Up! came out with the Bird Banter stamp set.  It included a pair of budgerigar stamps which I knew would be perfect for my cards.  I was over the moon with delight when I discovered that the Twofer Challenge decided on the theme "Pets" this month.  What a great reason to ink up this adorable bird!


I made two cards, of course.  The first could be used for friendship or a bit of "mush" for your sweetie.  I used only the images from the Bird Banter for this card and then coloured them using my Prismacolor pencils and Gamsol.


The second card is for someone who is under the weather with illness or is just having a rough time.  For this card I combined the images from Bird Banter and from the Weather Together bundle.  I cut the umbrella from a piece of scrap retired Designer Paper and propped  it up on Dimensionals.  The handle is cut from a scrap of dark brown cardstock and that centre rod is cut from silver foil.  I fussy cut the budgerigar (the feet almost killed me) and placed him on the rod, looking out at the weather.  I used my Prismacolor pencils and Gamsol to colour the bird but the wet ground is actually my Stampin' Blends with the drip swirls hand drawn using my white marker.


And here are the two together.


I hope you'll check out the awesome samples and entries at the Twofer Card Challenge Blog.  #twofercardchallenge

I'm also entering the second card in the Inkspirational Challenge #158 - Rain Photo

5 comments:

  1. These are really super cute cards, Heidi, and I loved reading about Ringo! I really laughed about how he nagged you girls and saved your mom some trouble, lol! The two lovebirds are so romantic, but I agree it could be used for a BFF, too! And what a remarkable job you did on the cheer-up card with the paper-pieced umbrella and fussy-cutting (!) that sweet little bird! I love the puddle, too! Thank you so much for playing at Twofer Card Challenge #4 with your wonderful enthusiasm!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had two budgerigars growing up (not at the same time, though) and one was blue, white, and black just like the left one on your first card! Didn't manage to teach them any words, though. Brings back memories!
    Your cards are adorable! The two birdies sitting on a branch as well as the one seeking shelter from the rain!
    Thank you for joining us at the Twofer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cards are so cute. It's fun to see the budgerigars on the cards and I think the sentiments on both cards are perfect. I love the shelter from the bright umbrella card. The blue bird on the branch reminds me of my grandma's parakeet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable cards Heidi!! What great images. Always wonderful when a stamp reminds you of a fond memory. Two fantastic designs using these sweet birds. Thanks for playing along with us at Twofer Card Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely! I like all your cute little birds. Thanks for playing with us at Inkspirational!
    - Shauna

    ReplyDelete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.