Friends

Wednesday, 2 December 2015

WWC45 - Merry Everything (Susan's Sketch Challenge)

This week our Watercooler Wednesday Challenge is a sketch provided by Susan Horr.  It's a great sketch and I had a lot of fun with it.  I'm sure you will, too.  I hope to see your version on our challenge page this week.


I decided to use the Home For Christmas Designer Series Paper as my background.  I don't use a lot of Designer Paper and it's annoying because we have some wonderful designs in the Holiday Catalogue.  And then I wind up with the paper in my stash.  It's a really bad habit and I'm trying to break it.

The design I decided to use is the one with all the houses and churches in a snowy setting.  It just evokes such an old-fashioned Christmas feeling and, with the snow on the ground here, I was ready to begin thinking of Christmas.  The design has some terrific colours in it.  I probably took almost as long deciding which colours I would use for my cardstock and ink as I did making the card.  I had just about convinced myself that I would be using the Mint Macaron and then, at the last minute, I decided to use the Mossy Meadow instead.  Now, looking at the card, I'm very glad I made that decision.  I don't always use what are considered the conventional Christmas colours, but for this card they really work, don't they?

My base is the heavy weight Whisper White.  Then I added a layer of Real Red followed by the Designer Paper.  With such a lot going on in the patterned paper, I knew I had to keep the rest of my card very simple.  For the two skinny horizontal pieces in the sketch, I chose to use a background of Real Red topped with Mossy Meadow for the narrower one and then I used a background of Mossy Meadow topped with Real Red for the wider one.

I used the Merry Everything stamp set for my sentiment and stamped that using Mossy Meadow ink on Whisper White.  After cutting that out using my Note Tag punch, I added a backing of Real Red which I fussy cut close to the tag.  To finish off, I took Real Red ink and stamped the ribbon from the Wondrous Wreath stamp set and then cut that out using the matching framelit.  A Real Red Home For Christmas Enamel dot finished it off.


When I look at my card, I find myself wondering why I don't use Designer Paper more often.  It certainly worked out well for this one.  

I hope you'll join me and the other Watercooler Artists this week and add your creation to our page at the Watercooler Wednesday Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments or questions.