Wednesday 2 December 2015

WWC45 - Merry Everything (Susan's Sketch Challenge)

This week our Watercooler Wednesday Challenge is a sketch provided by Susan Horr.  It's a great sketch and I had a lot of fun with it.  I'm sure you will, too.  I hope to see your version on our challenge page this week.


I decided to use the Home For Christmas Designer Series Paper as my background.  I don't use a lot of Designer Paper and it's annoying because we have some wonderful designs in the Holiday Catalogue.  And then I wind up with the paper in my stash.  It's a really bad habit and I'm trying to break it.

The design I decided to use is the one with all the houses and churches in a snowy setting.  It just evokes such an old-fashioned Christmas feeling and, with the snow on the ground here, I was ready to begin thinking of Christmas.  The design has some terrific colours in it.  I probably took almost as long deciding which colours I would use for my cardstock and ink as I did making the card.  I had just about convinced myself that I would be using the Mint Macaron and then, at the last minute, I decided to use the Mossy Meadow instead.  Now, looking at the card, I'm very glad I made that decision.  I don't always use what are considered the conventional Christmas colours, but for this card they really work, don't they?

My base is the heavy weight Whisper White.  Then I added a layer of Real Red followed by the Designer Paper.  With such a lot going on in the patterned paper, I knew I had to keep the rest of my card very simple.  For the two skinny horizontal pieces in the sketch, I chose to use a background of Real Red topped with Mossy Meadow for the narrower one and then I used a background of Mossy Meadow topped with Real Red for the wider one.

I used the Merry Everything stamp set for my sentiment and stamped that using Mossy Meadow ink on Whisper White.  After cutting that out using my Note Tag punch, I added a backing of Real Red which I fussy cut close to the tag.  To finish off, I took Real Red ink and stamped the ribbon from the Wondrous Wreath stamp set and then cut that out using the matching framelit.  A Real Red Home For Christmas Enamel dot finished it off.


When I look at my card, I find myself wondering why I don't use Designer Paper more often.  It certainly worked out well for this one.  

I hope you'll join me and the other Watercooler Artists this week and add your creation to our page at the Watercooler Wednesday Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.