Saturday 19 December 2015

Adapting the Curvy Keepsake Box and Winding up With Tummy Boxes---My Tutorial

NOTE:  I began writing this a few weeks ago but realized I needed more pictures if the tutorial was going to make sense.  Panic set in when I couldn't locate my Curvy Keepsake Box thinlit.  The last time I had used it was at the Charity Scrapbooking Crop which I had attended and for which I provided make-n-takes.  A frantic phone call to the organizer did not turn up the missing thinlit, nor did her messages to the attendees.  And so this post was put on hold.  What good would it be without the appropriate photos to show precisely how to make my little adapted tummy box?

Time passed and finally, a couple of days ago I pulled the comforter out of the back of my SUV, intending to clean it since the dogs had been all over it.  And suddenly I heard a metallic clang---a soft one, but still, a clang.  I checked the cement floor of the garage and there it was!  My thinlit had jumped out of the bag into which I had packed it after the Crop and was just hanging out, having a good old time travelling around with me.  Well, no more.  I've put it to work again and here it is.  My tutorial is finally ready.

I love using the Curvy Keepsake Box.  I've used it countless times as it was designed to be used, and decorated it up with great success.


I've even used it as a wrap, adapting it to be used with just two sides.  That has been a lot of fun and well received.


And then I designed the Tummy Boxes, another adaptation of the Curvy Keepsake Box.  These have been terrific little gift boxes for Christmas but could be used anytime, for all sorts of different occasions.  Here, if you haven't seen it yet, is my little Snowman Tummy Box:


He's easy to make.  I'm going to lead you through the process and have taken pictures as I've gone along.  The fun thing is that once you've made my little snowman, the sky is the limit.  You can change the colours of cardstock and make a gingerbread man, Santa, any of the elves or even a reindeer.  Your imagination is your limit with this adaption of the Curvy Keepsake Box.

Ready?  Let's begin.  For the initial box you'll need the Curvy Keepsake Box thinlit, of course. Before I began cutting, I took a black marker and drew lines on the sides of my thinlit as shown:

If you find this difficult to read, on the left it says 2" from cutting
bar. (this will be the front).
On the right it says 1 1/2" from cutting bar. (this will be a side).

Materials:

Heavy weight Whisper White, piece 1:  4" x 6 1/2"
Heavy weight Whisper White, piece 2:  4" x 4 1/2"

Real Red cardstock, optional:  1 7/8" x 1 7/8"

24" of your choice of 1/8" ribbon.

Tear & Tape Adhesive

Tools:

Big Shot
Curvy Keepsake Thinlit
1/8" Hole Punch
Scissors

Step-by-step photos:






Now assemble your box the way you normally would, using the adhesive of your choice to hold the bases together.  I've used Fast Fuse because I find it holds beautifully.  Then, if you wish to have a liner for your base, adhere the piece of Real Red to the inside bottom.  I also used my scissors to curve the corners of the front.


Cut your piece of ribbon.  Find the center of the ribbon and place the ribbon across the back of the box, on top of the Tear & Tape Adhesive. 


You are now ready to begin lacing the ribbon through the holes you've punched.



Once you've pulled the ribbon through the punched holes, as shown, you can pull the sides and front up and tie the bow in front.

And that is basically how to make the Adapted Curvy Keepsake Box.  It becomes the "tummy" of whatever character you decide to make.

The following is how I've made it into a snowman.


I've shaded around the perimeter of the head by using a sponge and Basic Grey ink.  I drew the eyes using my Basic Black Stampin' Marker as well as all those little "pieces of coal" which make up his mouth.  The nose is actually the ice-cream cone framelit from the Snow Friends framelits with the "ice-cream" cut into a smaller circle.  It was cut from a piece of Tangelo Twist cardstock and the little "carrot-wrinkles" were hand-drawn using the Tangelo Twist Stampin' Marker.  I used the Blushing Bride Stampin' Marker to colour in his cheeks.

You can see that I've curved the "arms" from the baby's onesie for the brim of the hat and also curved the top of the hat.  I glued a piece of the matching striped ribbon around the hat and attached a sprig of holly using the Snow Friends framelit and matching stamp.

Finally, the arms.  If you follow my lines, you can get both arms from the circle which you've already cut.


You can see how easily the circle becomes two arms.


I used Tombo glue to attach the head and arms after  sponging a bit of Basic Grey to give the body, arms and head some "dimension".  I attached a blank white circle to the back of the head to hide the cut-out from the Curvy Keepsake Die.


You can see how everything is attached from the back.


Lastly I used the Owl Builder Punch and cut five little circles (the second largest of the punch) and attached them to his body and the front of the box.  This is the completed little snowman.  He's a lot of fun to make and his "tummy" holds a lot of candies.


As you can see, a lot of candies fit into his waiting tummy.


And here, just for fun, is a little Gingerbread "tummy" Man which I created from the Kraft paper.


I hope you enjoy making your own little "tummy" people and animals.  Your imagination is your limit.  If you have any questions, just email me or ask in my comment section.

I'd love to see your creations, as well.

I've entered my little Gingerbread "tummy" Guy into the Merry Monday Christmas Challenge.

And I've also entered him into the {PIN}spirational Challenge.

15 comments:

  1. Heidi, your pictures really helped me understand what your instructions were. Super job, and a darling creation. Your a doll to take the time to do this for everyone. Hugs. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patti. I hope you enjoy creating your own "tummy" boxes and share them on the SC with us. Have a wonderful Christmas.

      Delete
  2. I love these little tummy boxes! Thank you Heidi for sharing directions with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, Carol. They're fun to make and, once you've made one, easy as well. Merry Christmas.

      Delete
  3. What a fun little gingerbread man tummy box. Thanks for joining us this week at Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear...these treat boxes are adorable. Amazing detail. Such a fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous project, I love the tutorial. Thank you for joining us for Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet!!!! Thanks so much for participating in our PINSPIRATIONAL challenge!!! Can’t wait to see you participate again in our challenge in the new year!!
    Deanne at A Little Bit O’ Paper

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heidi Weaver omg this are awesome , so cute and adorable is like cuteness overload you did an absolutely amazing job with this bellys thank you so much for sharing your magic I love it 🥰 thanks again because this is one of my favorite die I used the most from stampin up so I welcome new ideas and this ones is precious . Thanks .

    ReplyDelete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.