Wednesday 30 September 2015

WWC36 - Our Special 3-D Watercooler Wednesday Challenge

I enjoy making 3-D projects.  What fun to see that our Watercooler Wednesday Challenge this week would be all about 3-D.


For this project my plan was to finally open up my new Delicate Ornament Thinlits dies and create a pretty 3-D ornament.  I knew precisely what I wanted to do and proceeded to cut my pieces.  For my creation I would need four lacy die-cut ornaments.  Those would be cut from Silver Foil.  Instead of simply leaving the ornament open and lacy, however, I wanted colour to  show through to showcase that delicate lacy effect.  My plan was to cut circles from the new Red Foil.  In order to have the red show on both sides, I would need to cut four circles and then glue them back-to-back.  

Well, by the time I had the two layers of Silver Foil and the two layers of Red Foil all glued together, they were too bulky to make the folds necessary to create the ornament.  Obviously I would have to reduce my project by at least one layer.  I tried Real Red cardstock and simply didn't like the result and also found those three layers bulky.  Back to the drawing board.

One thing I had not yet tried and had actually forgotten about was the new Cotton Paper which had been introduced in the new Annual Catalogue.  Nothing could be lighter than that paper.  I dug it out and decided to use the Watermelon Wonder since I had been working with reds all this time.  (Next time I'm definitely going to use the Bermuda Bay).  This time the layering worked.  I had reduced enough bulk to get a nice, clean fold in my ornament.  

  
The real bonus, however, was that the Cotton Paper is so lightweight, almost like tissue paper but stronger, that light easily glowed through.  In real life this ornament just glows with coloured light when it gets close to a light source.

I hope you'll join us this week for our Watercooler Wednesday challenge.  Wouldn't you like to make a 3-D project?

2 comments:

  1. Such a pretty ornament - I'm glad you figured out how to get it to work, Heidi! (I keep forgetting about the Cotton Paper, too). Hopefully I can join in this challenge - thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Deb. That Cotton Paper had totally gone out of my mind until I began trying to figure out a lightweight way to make that ornament. I had almost decided to colour some of our Filter Paper and then remembered the Cotton Paper. There are only four colours but the Watermelon Wonder paper certainly worked.

      Delete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.