Wednesday 12 November 2014

Trees, cardinals and sparkles!

*Thrilled to be chosen a Cut Above by the Paper Players!*

I've been fighting a cold so you know that loggy feeling you get when that happens.  Nothing seems to inspire you.  I've been feeling that way.  It's unusual for me because I like to be designing cards and doing other creative things.  But, like I said, I feel loggy.

I wanted to make a card that would cover two challenges.  The Paper Players colour challenge:


And the CAS(E) this Sketch! challenge:


I thought both would work together brilliantly.  I just wish I was feeling brilliant myself.

I haven't used the Festival of Trees stamp set and matching Tree Punch as much as I expected.  So I decided that would work quite nicely for the sketch.  I stamped the tree twice right onto my cardstock, the first time with the stamp fully inked and the second time a bit to the side and lower and off-stamped twice.  Then I stamped the tree on scraps of cardstock, once fully inked and the second time off-stamped once.  That gave me a variety of tones using the same green:  Mossy Meadows.

Since I decided to use a strip of the Cherry Cobbler plaid design from the Trim the Tree Designer Stack for my left margin, I decided to repeat the colour again with two cardinals, also from the Festival of Trees stamp set.  I coloured the face black because it made them look more like cardinals.  I also repeated the Cherry Cobbler in the ink for the sentiment which is from the Christmas Bliss stamp set.  Then I cut it out using my Modern Label Punch.  Then I cut a piece of Cherry Cobbler with the same punch, cut it in half, and backed the sentiment with it.  Four rhinestones to top the trees finished up the card.


For more cards using this colour scheme, check out The Paper Players.

For more cards using this sketch, check out CAS(E) this Sketch!

8 comments:

  1. So sorry you're not feeling well, but I couldn't tell from this card...I LOVE it! Such a great use of the colors! Perfect for the sketch too! Love the layered trees,but the cardinals are my favorite! I love that you added the black to their heads, much more true to nature, LOL! Thanks for sharing this with us at The Paper Players!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, LeAnne. I really appreciate your wonderful comments.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love your cluster of trees! So fun & festive! Great take on the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Leigh. I love those trees but don't use them enough.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic use of the colors and your trees look fantastic all layered together. So glad you shared your creation at The Paper Players.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Andrea. I enjoy the Paper Players challenges.

      Delete
  4. I love that plaid paper..the trees look so well on it! The red cardinals add such a nice pop of color,too. Thanks for joining us this week at The Paper Players!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laurie. I think that plaid is my favourite in the whole stack.

      Delete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.