Wednesday 5 November 2014

Owl about a couple of challenges

As you've noticed, I enjoy challenges.  I've found that they push me into areas that I might not otherwise explore.  One of those areas is stamp carving.  You'll remember that Stampin' Up! introduced their Undefined Stamp Carving Kit last year.  I was excited about it and, almost immediately after getting my kit, carved a simple little cartoon cat and then put the kit away.  Of course I felt guilty about not using it but it was easy to keep putting it off.  Until now, that is.  A challenge came along.

You may think that the challenge was all about stamp carving and you'd be wrong.  The challenge was all about owls.  Well, I love owls.  The problem is that except for those adorable little owls in the Baby, We've Grown stamp set, I don't own any owl stamps.  I knew Fate was pushing at me when I found another challenge which is about "birds of a feather flock together".   So I decided to carve an owl stamp.  It took some work, but I'm proud of my efforts.

I chose Naturals White as my base cardstock and then a layer of Mossy Meadow.  My next layer is a piece of Shimmery White cardstock on which I had used the marbled alcohol marker technique.  I stamped the branch from the retired Take Care stamp set on Whisper White and fussy cut that out.   I glued the branch down using Tombo glue.   Then I stamped my owl twice on Whisper White and cut them out.  After colouring them, I adhered them onto the branch using Dimensionals.  For my sentiment I turned to the Yippee-Skippee stamp set and stamped it onto my Shimmery White paper using Memento black ink.


For more cards using the photo inspiration of owls, check out Inkspirational Challenges.


For more cards interpreting the words "birds of a feather flock together", check out TIME OUT Challenges.

8 comments:

  1. how amazing that you carved the owls-super talented! What a cool sentiment to go with the image and so pleased that Ink and TIME OUT inspired you. Thanks for joining us x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sandie. I read that "Little Train" book a lot when my daughter was growing up so my mantra is "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...".

      Delete
  2. Oh. My. Gosh. That owl you carved is fantastic!!! I think you need to carve more stamps cause you are great at it! Love this card! Thanks or playing along with us over at Inkspirational! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kim. I wouldn't want to carve stamps for a living---too slow and finicky. But it sure is empowering when it works out.

      Delete
  3. I wouldn't even know where to start with carving an owl....your amazing!! It stamps perfectly and looks just like a purchased stamp. I bet that since this one turned out so well, you will be carving a lot more!! Gorgeous card and very happy you were able to join us at TIME OUT!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably the hardest part was the sketch, Shona. But once I had simplified it and knew it would work for carving, it was just a matter of being careful. Yes, it has given me incentive to do more carving, you're right. It's empowering.

      Delete
  4. Holy smokes, Heidi…those owls are adorable!! I'd buy that stamp in a minute!! Great job. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Doris. You're definitely good for my ego. Thanks so much.

      Delete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.