Tuesday 5 August 2014

Wetlands --- New ways to use my old favourite

It's no secret that I love the Wetlands stamp set.  I've said it many times and continue to say it each time I use the set.  From the reeds to the sandpipers to the Canada Goose, all the images are so beautifully sketched that I enjoy each one.  This tag-within-a-card makes use of them all.

Just Add Ink is a challenge blog that I enjoy a lot.  Having to use a set of colours for a card makes me stretch my usual boundaries to be sure.

JAI 225

Those colours would not have been my first choice for a card using the Wetlands images, but that's what makes it a challenge.

To add to the challenge, I decided to use the sketch from CAS(E) this Sketch! 


This sketch is being offered in conjunction with the sketch at Tag You're It! which is, as the name implies, a challenge blog devoted to tags.

I chose So Saffron as my base cardstock and then added a layer of Basic Black and then a layer of Smoky Slate that I had first run through my Big Shot using the Woodgrain embossing folder.  For the tag I put a piece of Whisper White through the Scallop Tag Topper Punch and then stamped the Canada Goose, masked the image, and stamped the reeds.  I added a bit of So Saffron using my Blender Pen and then mounted the tag onto Basic Black.  I cut around the tag carefully, leaving a skinny border of black.

I wanted something different along the left side but didn't want to add any Designer Paper and so I cut a strip from the So Saffron die cut that I had made using my Hexagon Hive Thinlit and then stamped a couple of the sandpipers in each of the solid hexagons using Memento black ink and shaded the edges using Smoky Slate and a sponge.

Before I added the tag to the card, I wrapped Whisper White Baker's Twine around the centre of the card three times.  Then I stamped the sentiment onto So Saffron using Memento black ink, cut that with my Large Oval punch, and shaded the edges using a sponge and Smoky Slate before mounting it onto the card using dimensionals.


As a finishing touch I added three Basic Black Candy Dots to the top right.

For more cards using these colours, check out Just Add Ink.

For more cards using this sketch, check out CAS(E) this Sketch!

For more tags using this sketch, check out the Tag You're It! challenge.

For more cards with a bird theme, check out Make My Monday.

16 comments:

  1. What a cool use of the Hexagon die cut, such a lovely design Heidi. Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Nikki. I've been using pieces of that Hexagon Hive die-cut and have found it adds more to a design than the whole.

      Delete
  2. Heidi, you've used our challenge colours beautifully! I love the little details, such as the candy dots, and the sandpipers stamped on the hexagons. Thanks for playing along with us at Just Add Ink this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Christine. I really enjoyed your challenge and the colours in it.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous soft color tag card, Heidi! Love the coloring of yellow on the tag. Thanks for joining us at Tag You're It!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Marybeth. I appreciate your comments. I liked the So Saffron much better than I thought I might.

      Delete
  4. The Wetlands set is one of my favourites too and I love a tag on a card. Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. I'm sure that I'll keep Wetlands well past its retirement date. It's such a wonderful set.

      Delete
  5. Fantastic use of the Hexagon Hive and the Sandpipers stamped on it are wonderful. Also very much like your use of the Blender Pen for background on the tag. Thank you for sharing this Heidi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the wonderful compliments, Linda. I appreciate them.

      Delete
  6. The twine looks GREAT! So glad you played along with us at the Tag You're It Challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jackie. I loved your new challenge.

      Delete
  7. What a great stamp set & I love how you used it with the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leigh. I still haven't run out of ways to use the set. Love it!

      Delete
  8. This is wonderful! I really love your colour theme for this and the wood grain background is so perfect for your image! Fantastic card! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pamellia. I love working with this stamp set and have been trying new things with it.

      Delete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.