Sunday 10 August 2014

WCC06 -- A Birthday Spinner Card










This challenge is a different one than most.  Our challenge was to CASE a card or project that one of the Watercooler gang has posted on their blog.  Well, there are a lot of us in the Watercooler gang and we seem to post quite prolifically.  Finding something that I wanted to CASE wasn't a problem.  Finding one thing out of all the great projects was definitely a problem.  Finally, growing bleary-eyed and overwhelmed from all the great projects, I decided that I would CASE the circle card thinlits die spinner card that Kath Ricks shared with us for the May Wacky Watercooler Blog Hop was the one that I really wanted to try making and, if I was going to make it, why not for this challenge?  It helped a lot that in her next post, Kath was generous enough to give a comprehensive tutorial with great photos.

Now the fun began.  I wanted to make Kath's card but I didn't want to copy it outright.  To CASE is not necessarily to make a carbon copy, of course, and I wanted Kath's card with my own spin on it.  (Notice that play on words with which I'm entertaining you?)

The thing about spinner cards is that something has to spin (obviously) and so it's always a good thing to have an image that can easily be glued together back-to-back.  Kath's butterflies are an excellent example.  I quickly discovered that I don't have a whole lot of images that would fit inside the circle and also be identical enough to glue back-to-back.  Finally I decided on a sentiment using the Artisan Label Punch.  I could work with a birthday theme and the punched image was the perfect size for the circular space.   My stamp sets would be the Label Love, Sketched Birthday and the Hostess set, Life's Adventure.  I also decided that I would stick to a limited colour scheme and chose vanilla as my neutral, Crisp Cantaloupe and Calypso Coral.

And so my card was born.  You can see all the details on how to make it here, on Kath's posting.  I can't say it any better than that.  As for the stamping and such, I think everything is pretty obvious.  The images are all coloured using the Blendabilities.  I also coloured the Rhinestones using the Blendabilities (love the way they match).  I did go out of my colour scheme for the platter holding the cake by using the Gold Glimmer Stampin' Marker and, of course, by using the black Memento ink for the images.  I did the sponging with Crisp Cantaloupe ink.  The Designer Paper is perfect for the birthday theme and is part of the Gold Soiree Specialty Designer Paper.


What the picture doesn't show you is how that "Happy Birthday to you" in the centre of the circle spins freely.  By winding it up before putting the card into an envelope, the recipient gets the happy surprise of this cute spinning element in the card.  How sweet is that?

4 comments:

  1. Well, as always, you have done a great job with your challenge pick! Thank you for being a part of our challenges so far and making it a reality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ter. I always enjoy the challenges you put before us. This is a fun way to get creative.

      Delete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.