Thursday 5 June 2014

SUO Challenges 98 - Make your own background

I discovered something the other day.  I discovered that Challenges can be addictive.  We just had the Watercooler Challenges on Sunday and then I found the Around the World Stampin' Up! Challenges and entered them on Monday.  Today is Wednesday and I'm entering another Challenge.  What can I say?  It's exciting working within someone else's parameters.

This Challenge is for Stampin' Up! Only products, which is fine since that's all I use.  The challenge---make your own background layer for your card by using stamps.  That really intrigued me.  I've stamped my own background for scrapbooking pages before.  All this challenge entails is thinking ahead to what sort of Designer Paper I might wish to use for the card and then make the Designer Paper.  Easy peasy, right?

What I did was to take a piece of Whisper White and then sponged over a ragged edge of paper towel using all my new In-Colors.  Loved the effect.  But that wasn't stamping my own background.  What I decided was to use the open lined stamp from the Flower Shop stamp set and stamped it all over the sponged paper using Smoky Slate ink.  Then I took my Gold Stampin' Dazzle marker and coloured all the centre petals with it.  Finally I punched out a whole slew of Gold Foil dots using the Cupcake Builder punch.  I glued those to the centres of the stamped flowers.

And then I used the gorgeous finished result to make the following card.  The banner is cut from my "designer" paper as well as the butterflies.


Products Used

Stamps:  Flower Shop; Just Sayin'

Cardstock:  Whisper White, Rich Razzleberry, Blackberry Bliss,
Lost Lagoon, Tangelo Twist, Gold Foil

Inks:  Blackberry Bliss, Hello Honey, Lost Lagoon, 
Mossy Meadow, Tangelo Twist, Black Memento 

Framelits:  Banners collection

Punches:  Large Oval, Scallop Oval, Bitty Butterfly

Other:  Stampin' Dimensionals, Snail, Tombo Multi Liquid Glue, 
Decorative Dots Embossing Folder

If you want to see what the Design Team did to meet this challenge, just come on over to the SUO Challenges Page. 

12 comments:

  1. This is so pretty with all the colors. Intriguing technique. Have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Patti. It was really fun to do.

      Delete
  2. Great card, Heidi! I especially like how you tied the whole card together by selecting an embossing folder that complimented the centers of your flowers and butterflies. Thanks for playing along with us at SUO Challenges this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Stacey. I really enjoyed the challenge and hope to participate again.

      Delete
  3. I love to create my own backgrounds. And this is a wonderful idea I need to try.
    Sigrid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sigrid. It really was fun to create the Designer paper. I think you'll enjoy it.

      Delete
  4. Wow! Your background paper looks fabulous!! Love the colors, the use of the Banner Collection Framelits and the pretty butterflies- thanks for playing along with us at SUO Challenges :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Julie, your comments mean a great deal to me. I really enjoyed playing along and hope to participate in more challenges. :)

      Delete
  5. Wow! That background is so effective. Love the tiny gold dots and all the detail. Thanks for joining us at SUO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Bronwyn. I went a bit wild with the details but had fun doing it.

      Delete
  6. What a striking background, love all the colors and detail in it! Thanks for playing along with the background challenge on SUO Challenges this time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Connie. I really appreciate your compliments.

      Delete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.