Sunday 29 June 2014

PPA209 -- Wetlands meets Handcarved (Paper Artists Pick)

PPAPickBadge(1)

So excited to be a Paper Artist Pick!  Yay!

You know how it is.  You see something and you're just not entirely sure you like it enough to have it.  Then you wind up buying it.  Now, what are you going to do with it?  In my case, I really wasn't sure whether I liked the Handcarved background stamp.  I didn't hate it but I didn't see it and fall in love.  But I wound up buying the stamp anyway.  I couldn't say exactly what brought me to that decision but I'm so glad I have it.  It adds so much character to a card.

For my card I've used it with the Baked Brown Sugar ink but off-stamped it once to lighten the effect.  That made it match the Burlap Ribbon more closely and I had plans for the Burlap Ribbon.  For my complimentary colour I decided to use the Coastal Cabana.  I off-stamped that twice when I used it with the Work of Art stamp just as I off-stamped the Baked Brown Sugar twice for the Work of Art stamp.  Together they made the basis for the seashore onto which I stamped the Wetlands stamp using Early Espresso ink.

For the Burlap Ribbon to work as one solid broad piece I took the stitching out of one side of each of the two pieces I would be using.  Then I cut a rectangular piece of the new Transfer Adhesive Sheets and mounted the ribbon closely together, matching the unstitched sides as carefully as possible.


I decided that the circles with my image looked a bit plain and added loops of Coastal Cabana Thick Baker's Twine.  That seemed to be the touch I was looking for.  A sentiment from the Losts of Thanks stamp set stamped in Early Espresso ink onto vellum finished it off.

You can see more wonderful cards made using this sketch at the Pals Paper Arts blog.

PPA209 June 26

12 comments:

  1. Love the loops and the hand carved background stamp does add a lot of character. Thanks for playing along with us this week at Pals Paper Arts! I hope you can join us again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Beth. I enjoyed your challenge and hope to join you again soon.

      Delete
  2. WOW! Being a guy I'm always looking for masculine designs! This is wonderful. And the layered Burlap is the icing on the cake! LOVE IT! Thanks for Playing Pals Paper Arts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike. I have enough men in my family to need masculine designs myself. I am falling in love with the Burlap and trying new things with it.

      Delete
  3. How clever you are to loop the twine! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant use of the thick baker's twine. I'm loving it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous and creative use of the burlap ribbon and twine. Love these colours together. You're right…that background stamp is a fun alternative to the more symmetrical designs available. Congrats on being a Pals Paper Arts pick!! Well-deserved!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much, Doris. I've been using the burlap and the Baked Brown Sugar a lot with blues. They compliment each other so well.

      Delete
  6. At first I thought it was a spellbinder with loops until I saw it was the twine. Love it with the burlap too. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Koani. That Burlap Ribbon is fun to use in a lot of different ways.

      Delete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.