Thursday, 8 May 2014

Mixing it up

Sometimes an idea is only a piece of paper away.  I'm not just saying that---this is actually how this card was designed.  I saw a piece of Fancy Foil Designer Vellum on my crafting table.  It was just a piece that was left over from another project and it appealed to me.  I really like the look of that Designer Vellum anyway, but when I saw that piece, I knew I wanted to use it in my next design.  Close by was a partial sheet of Watercolor Wonder Designer Series Paper.  The Tangerine Tango and Crushed Curry in the flowers gave me my colour palette.

Looking around the room I zeroed in on my Banner Framelit Dies.  I have all my Framelits and Thinlits up on  the wall, stuck to magnetic sheets and find that inspiration often comes when I look at them.  I'm very visual that way and probably wouldn't use my framelits half as often if they were filed away.  In this case the Banner Framelits inspired me.

I chose a base cardstock in Naturals White because the Tangerine Tango is such a strong colour.  For the Tangerine Tango, I turned to my Brights Core'dinations.  After putting the piece through my Big Shot using the Stylish Stripes embossing folder.  A bit of sanding made the diagonal stripes stand out beautifully.  They matched the diagonal stripes in the Fancy Foil Designer Vellum that I was using.  Instead of simply putting a rectangle or a square of the fancy vellum onto the Core'dinations, I cut it using the largest of the Banners Framelits.  Even then I wound up cutting it about an inch shorter.  On top of that I layered another piece of Core'dinations cut with the third largest Banner Framelit.  I put that banner piece through the Big Shot using my Decorative Dots embossing folder and then lightly sanded it.  On top of that I layered two banners in Gold Foil, cut with the smallest of the Banner Framelits.

Now for the piece of Watercolor Wonder Deisnger Series Paper that had caught my attention.  I loved the watercolour flowers that covered the paper and, instead of hand-cutting them, decided that they would probably fit quite well into the Pansy Punch.  I was right!  They were an almost perfect fit.  After cutting out two of the Tangerine Tango flowers, I decided to do the same with the Crushed Curry flowers.  For them, however, I chose to use the little Petite Petals punch.  I attached the flowers with dimensionals in a random "scattered" pattern across the banners and then adhered pearls to the centres.

For my sentiment I turned to the little heart from the Hearts a Flutter Framelits and the "hello" from the "A Dozen Thoughts" stamp set.  A bit of sponging with Tangerine Tango ink and Crushed Curry ink helped the heart fit perfectly into the colour scheme.


To finish it off, I added a tiny pearl to the centre of the "o" in "hello".

And that is the card that I created after seeing that piece of Fancy Foil Designer Vellum.  You never know where an idea is going to come from.



2 comments:

  1. Such a super pretty card!!! Love all the color and dimension. You rock!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments or questions.