Wednesday 30 October 2013

Ready for more transformed owls?

I love using the new Circle Cards Thinlits Die.  Using it the way it's designed is great, but usually I slip the end over the cutting edge and get an extended card.  I've explained the process in another post.  I think it adds more interest to the card since you wind up with an additional fold.

I decided to make another Hallowe'en card, complete with altered owls, using the extended Circle Flip Flop card.  Basic Grey seemed like the perfect colour as my base cardstock.  Using the right colours, in this case Summer Starfruit, Basic Black and Pumpkin Pie, the Basic Grey is a perfect backdrop and also adds a hint of the spooky feeling of Hallowe'en.

From the front, the card appears to be primarily Basic Grey and Summer Starfruit because I used that colour of Designer Paper as my second layer on the front fold as well as the back of the extension.  This is how it looks all folded up (before I dressed it up, of course).


As my second layer on the inside, I used Pumpkin Pie Designer Paper.  Just a note here:  the designer papers are all the retired style, although the colours are current, and the stamp set for the bare tree that I heat embossed in Basic Black in the centre is the retired Season of Friendship set.   Just as a matter of interest, I added one additional limb to the top left branch.  I needed it for the owl.  Call it artistic license.


One of the things I love about the extended Flip Flop card is that there are so many areas to decorate.   There is the front, the extended inside and the fold-over back.  But the real "star" of the show is the circle which "flip-flops" as you open the card.  For the front, I decided to use a circle punched from Summer Starfruit cardstock, which I stamped in Basic Black ink using the black cat from the new Bite Me photopolymer stamp set.  First, however, I stamped a portion of the huge spider web from that stamp set across my circle using Smoky Slate ink.  After stamping the cat, I stamped the BOO! from the stamp set under it, giving the illusion that the cat was resting on top of it.   I used a sponge to shade the edges of the circle with some Basic Grey ink.




It looked a bit bare with just the one owl and the tree so I had to add another owl.  With the black cat on the front of the card, a witch seemed like the right choice.


The Flip Flop circle on the inside of the card looked pretty bare by this time so I punched a 2 1/2" circle from the Pumpkin Pie Designer Paper and covered it with a spider's web and a spider.  The Trick or Treat sentiment was perfect in Basic Black.


To add a bit more interest to the inside of the card, I punched out some ovals from the Pumpkin Pie Designer Paper as well as a few tiny punched flowers which I cut in half.  A bit of adhesive and some squiggles with my Always Artichoke marker and a pumpkin was born.


Finishing up, I just loved the way the black cat takes over the front of the card and didn't want to distract any attention away from it, so I just added a bit of Basic Grey shading around the DSP and a couple of spiders, also from the Bite Me stamp set.  The back fold-over was perfect with the addition of the spider web from the same stamp set...and, of course, another spider or two.  And that finished the front which you can see all folded up here.


Even with the vampire owl, the witch and the pumpkin, the inside of the card was missing something so I stamped some more spiders' webs, some spatters, some spiders and loved the effect.  Time to stop.  So this is what I wound up with for the inside.


Does the witch look a bit down in the dumps?  Wouldn't you if you couldn't remember where you left your broomstick?

Hope you like the card.  It was such fun playing around with the owl builder punch.

2 comments:

  1. Heidi you've really rocked this card. I loved your details along the way and how you reached the finished card at the end. Everything came together and you're right, the spider web just tied everything together on the inside of the card! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Penny. I think this "Bite Me" is my favourite of the photopolymers. The first couple I bought stamped a bit thickly for my taste but they seem to have gotten it together for this set. The spider web actually looks real.

      Delete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.