Saturday 28 September 2013

Remember that Hallowe'en box?

Time sure flies, doesn't it?  Some weeks ago I blithely told you that I would be posting the instructions for the Hallowe'en box that we made during my Open House.  Of course the Blog Hop got in the way and myriad other posts.  I guess it's finally time to play catch up and write the post about that cute Hallowe'en box.

I think the reason everyone loved making it is because it looks great but took very little fuss and bother to make.  Isn't that a perfect combination?  Everything should be this easy to make!

We begin with a Kraft Box.  What do I like about the Kraft Boxes?  They're a great size, small but at 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" x 2 1/2" they're not so small that you can barely fit anything into them.  They're easy to decorate.  You can make them as complex and fancy or as cute and simple as you wish.  They're really affordable.  How often can you pick up four boxes for only $3.50?

For the Hallowe'en Box we take the Kraft Box but do not assemble it.  Taking a ruler, I line up one side of it with the bottom of the box and use a pencil to make a line first on one side and then on the other side of the flattened box.  Don't worry about the pencil line because it disappears.


The next part is up to you.  Using the Witch's Brew Designer Washi Tape, I lined the design of my choice up below the pencil line and adhered it all the way around the box.  Then I took another design and lined that up above the pencil line and adhered that all the way around the box.  I did the same above the second line of Washi tape with a third design.


The Washi Tape makes it so easy to put a striking design on the box.


It still isn't time to assemble the box yet.  It's easier to decorate the top lid of the box while it's flat.  For that I cut a 3 1/4" x 3 1/4" piece of Basic Black cardstock.  I rubbed that with my Embossing Buddy to remove any static electricity from the cardstock and then stamped the skeleton from the Toil and Trouble stamp set over to the right hand side using my Versamark ink.  Then I applied my Whisper White embossing powder and heat set the image.  I love the detail in the stamp, don't you?


Using a piece of Pumpkin Pie cardstock, I heat embossed the Trick or Treat stamp from the Tags 4 You stamp set using my Basic Black embossing powder.  I love the fact that this stamp set comes with a matching punch and can be bought as a bundle.  Using the Label Bracket punch, I cut out the embossed image.  Next, I used the new Chevron Border Punch on a scrap of Pumpkin Pie cardstock to get three chevrons which I adhered to the lid. Then I used the Ticket builder punch to cut two tickets from the Witch's Brew Designer Paper and adhered those to the lid as well.  Finally I adhered the cut out "Trick or Treat" using dimensionals.


I love all the elements on the lid of the box, especially the skulls in the Designer Paper and the way they compliment the embossed skeleton.

And that is all there is to making the Hallowe'en box.  It seems like a lot when you're reading all my steps but everyone at the Open House was thrilled with how easy it was to make this project.


It would be a wonderful gift, with treats inside, for a teacher or co-worker, wouldn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.