Sunday 3 March 2013

Going Single

Going single can be a lot of fun, especially when it means you just have to buy a single stamp.  Among the single stamps available in my Stampin' Up! store at the moment is one that really "spoke" to me.  The name of the stamp is You Are My Sunshine.  How many people have said that to their children?  I wouldn't even venture a guess.  

I can still remember holding my daughter in my arms, trying to calm her down by walking back and forth, singing softly "you are my sunshine".  It's a wonder that those weren't her first words; she certainly heard them frequently enough---especially during those awful teething nights.  For me, however, those words---that song---stayed in my heart as a special bond with my daughter.  Imagine my delight when I saw the stamp!  I had to have that stamp.  And, on the first order after the stamp became availalble, I included that stamp (Item #132671, available only until March 31st).

Sunshine Clear-Mount Stamp Set
I wasn't immediately sure what I wanted to do with the stamp and so it sat neglected (but not forgotten) for a few weeks.  And then we had a wonderfully sunny day and I thought about Spring and spring flowers and an idea was born.

I began with a 3 1/2" x 4 3/4" piece of Whisper White and the You Are My Sunshine stamp.  I decided to stamp the image in the top right quadrant of the paper.  Then I took a 2" x 2 1/4" piece of typing paper and masked the entire stamped image.  My next stamp was the daisy stamp from the Secret Garden set (Item #129144)---a happy flower that always makes me think of sunshine.  Then I grabbed three of the sunniest colours that Stampin' Up! offers in its inks: Daffodil Delight, More Mustard, and Tangerine Tango.  I loved the way those colours compliment each other.  Beginning with the Daffodil Delight, I stamped daisies all over the Whisper White.  After cleaning the stamp, I went on to stamp several daisies in More Mustard and, lastly, a few more in Tangerine Tango.  When I took the mask off, the result was exactly what I had hoped for.

I finished off the card by mounting the stamped Whisper White on More Mustard cardstock using snail.  I chose Naturals White for my base cardstock and, after using my Honeycomb embossing folder on Tangerine Tango cardstock, mounted it using snail.  Then I used dimensionals to mount the stamped piece.  Finally I coloured in the You Are My Sunshine and filled the centre of the "O" with Crystal Effects.  A few large rhinestones in the centre of my  daisies were the finishing touch.



It's a very, very happy looking card, isn't it?  If you want that stamp, too, remember that you only have until March 31st to buy it.

And just a reminder about the Late Night Stampers' Treasure Hunt.  You can go here and read all about it.  Maybe you'll be the next grand prize winner.

2 comments:

  1. Very cute stamp! And I love the BG great way to use that stamp. I can see so many ways to use the sunshine stamp,like the chalk technique is one.Ohh now I have to go shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely works for the chalk technique. I love this stamp's versatility. After going wild with the background for this card, I decided to post it rather than the chalkboard one I did earlier.

      Delete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.