Tuesday, 12 February 2013

Some stamps are a struggle

Have you ever bought a stamp set and then left it, neglected, month after month because, quite honestly, you just didn't know what to do with it?  Well, that's what happened with the Papaya Collage stamp set.  I had every intention of using it.  I really liked the design of the stamps in the set.  But I just didn't know what to do with them.

Time has passed and I challenged myself to use those stamp sets that have not yet seen ink.  The Papaya Collage is one of those.  What I did to force the issue was to select the colours I would use in cardstock and ink and then just let things happen.

The first thing I did was to stamp the rose in Primrose Petals and the leaves in Crumb Cake over every available space on a piece of 5 1/4" x 4" Very Vanilla cardstock.  First I offstamped and then stamped.  That way all the images on the Very Vanilla were muted.  I liked that effect.  Then I took that great new Distressing Tool and wore away the edges around the perimeter.  Finally, I sponged some Crumb Cake over the edges and that piece was done.

Then I took a 4 3/4" x 3 1/2"  piece of Crumb Cake and stamped the fancy frame in the centre using Primrose Petals ink.  In the top left hand corner, using Early Espresso ink, I stamped the leaves several times to make them appear to be cascading into the frame.  Then I used the Distressing Tool and wore away the edges around the perimeter.  Finally, I placed it into the Fancy Fan embossing folder and ran it through the Big Shot.  I wasn't very happy with the result, thinking the whole piece was a bit too dark for my taste.  And then inspiration struck and I decided to use some bleach.  With a small tipped artist's brush, I painted bleach inside the recessed portion of each fan design, only inside the stamped frame.  I loved the way the inside of the frame appeared to be illuminated.

I finished off by stamping two butterlies with Primrose Petals on Very Vanilla, punching them out with the Elegant Butterfly punch and sponging the edges with Crumb Cake.  I also stamped the rose using Crumb Cake ink and then coloured the lined areas with my Primrose Petals marker.

Assembly:  base cardstock Early Espresso then the stamped Very Vanilla, followed by the stamped and bleached Crumb Cake.  Finally I mounted the butterflies and rose on dimensionals.

I am really so happy with the way this card turned out.


  1. Thanks for sharing your card and the journey you took to create it. I think most of us can relate to neglecting a stamp set or two.

    1. I don't just have a stamp set or two that I'm trying to introduce to ink, Shawn. For some reason, however, this set had me at a loss. I really didn't know what to do with it---and then, finally, I did. I still have to figure out what I'm going to do with the bird in this set. That should be another interesting "journey". :)

  2. Well done Heidi & giving this stamp set some inky love. I have to admit it is one I neglect too. I love the effect you got with the bleach in the embossing folder - kind of like a trellis.

    1. Thanks, Tricia. I like that bleach effect, too. I had to do something because, without it, the card looked too dull. Yes, it is almost like a trellis or, if you've seen them, like the old-fashioned leaded windows with sun streaming through.

  3. This comment has been removed by the author.


GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.