Wednesday 6 February 2013

Eating crow!

So how often have you said: "Oh, I'd never use that!  It's too expensive!"  Well, I've said it one time too many.  When I saw the Delicate Details Lace Tape in the Spring Catalogue, my first thought was that it was pretty.  My second thought, after glancing at the price, was that I wouldn't use it, especially for classes or workshops.  And so I haven't ordered it.  I've held firm on that decision during all of the December pre-order period, all of January, and now we're into February.  *sigh*  I may be changing my mind.

Yesterday I received the Delicate Details Lace Tape as a gift.  It looks prettier "in person" than in the catalogue.  That was my first, immediate thought.  And all evening my mind would wander and I would think of possible projects.  Of course you know what I did when I got home, right?  If you didn't guess that I decided to design a card around the lace tape then you don't know me very well---yet.

The Delicate Details Lace Tape is very white.  Some whites are a bit off-white or even creamy; this white is about as white as snow.  So I decided that I would make a black, grey and white card.  I chose the Basic Black as my base cardstock and then again as the centre piece of cardstock.  So I separated them with a layer of Basic Grey cardstock.  I liked the look already and I hadn't really begun.  I decided to use the Bloomin' Marvellous stamp set (Sale-a-bration) and stamped images of the butterfly, blossom and leaves all over the 3 3/4" x 5" piece of Basic Black using my Whisper White Craft Ink.  Yes, you can also use the StazOn White to do this.

Then I stamped a 2 1/2" x 5" piece of Whisper White with Basic Black ink using the En Francais background stamp.  I tore the edge of the paper around the perimeter, close to the stamped words.

I wanted some flowers on the card but I wanted them to be more similar to the blossoms that I had stamped and so I decided to use the Crepe Paper, folded to about 8 thicknesses, and cut that with the Blossoms Party die.  Scrunched up and held together with a black glimmer brad, the flowers were perfect for the card.

As I began assembly, I could see that I wouldn't like the look of the lace tape against the white stamped piece.  This observation definitely brought the whole process to a screeching halt because the whole reason I had designed the card was the Delicate Details Lace Tape.  So---back to the drawing board.  I needed the tape to be any colour other than white.  And that's when the "lightbulb" above my head suddenly lit up the whole room.  (Don't you just love those "aha!" moments?)

I decided to colour the lace tape.  Good idea, right?  Not really, since the tape is plastic and repelled the Stampin' Marker I tried to use and also the Stamp Pad I tried after that.  And then I noticed my red jiffy marker.  Permanent Maker---that should work!  And it did---work that is.  And this is the card.


So, what's black and white and red all over?  My card is!  Hope you like it.  Excuse me while I finish eating that crow...

4 comments:

  1. What a great discovery! I have been having a bit of a play with the lace tape & have to agree it is a polar white you describe. I like it red much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tricia. Believe me, I was so upset when I first tried putting colour onto that lace tape and realized that it repelled everything I tried. Thank goodness for Jiffy markers. I'm going to try black next.

      Delete
  2. I like how you colored it! I have it and haven't played with it yet...mine just might end up in pink! Nice card and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vanessa. I'm looking forward to seeing yours in pink. Let me know when you post it. :)

      Delete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.